SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — A New Mexico Supreme Court ruling upholds a Carlsbad’s man’s murder conviction in the 2012 killing of an Artesia man at the victim’s home. The ruling dated Friday and released Monday turns down an appeal by Senovio Mendoza, who was sentenced to life in prison for the shooting death of Timothy Wallace, a drug dealer who owed money to Mendoza. Co-defendant Donald Ybarra pleaded guilty in the case. Another co-defendant, Matthew Sloan, awaits a retrial after his murder conviction was overturned by the state high court in 2016. According to Ybarra’s testimony, Mendoza got the other two men to accompany him to Wallace’s home to collect money owed Mendoza by Wallace.
Filed under: Crime, Home, New Mexico, News
Filed under: Crime, Home, New Mexico, News
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Ray Baylor III came to New Mexico as a junior college transfer one season ago. The 6-foot-3, 293 pound senior offensive lineman was used to getting his way. That didn’t play well in the Division 1 football world, and Baylor had to make adjustments. “You know me and the coaches didn’t always see eye to eye, especially the first year,” said Baylor. “I feel like I matured a lot.” Lobos Head Coach Bob Davie agrees that Baylor has shown more maturity this season. “Last year was really inconsistent, you know, both maturity wise and football wise,” said Davie. “I do think he’s grown up. It’s still a work in progress.” Baylor has become a better man and better on the field. Some of his teammates believe he showed the most progress of any player during the spring. That has led to a lot of reps on the field in the fall for a player who was only in one game last season. All conference offensive lineman Aaron Jenkins helped in Baylor’s development. “Oh man, we use to have come together meetings at my place,” said Jenkins. “We use to have to talk to him about Ray, do this. Ray, do that. Ray, stop acting this way. He’s come a long way. I’m really happy for the guy.” Baylor is also happy and appreciates the help he got from players and coaches. “It was definitely different,” said Baylor. “I had to adjust to hard coaching, especially from high school and junior college. You know when you’re a good player they kind of let you do whatever.”
Filed under: Home, SmartTV, Sports, Top Video
Filed under: Home, SmartTV, Sports, Top Video
(CBS) — Here’s a challenge: Can you spend nothing extra for the next 30 days and still live well? CBS 2 Cost Cutter Dorothy Tucker has four tips to get started down the path to saving hundreds of dollars. Ruth Soukup, a blogger and author, wrote a book about it. “Basically, the idea is that you take a month off from spending on anything except the absolute essentials,” she says. Tucker asks: “How much money have some of your readers saved?” “Over a thousand dollars in one month,” Soukup says. Here’s one of her tricks: You know all those emails encouraging you to buy things you don’t need? Unsubscribe. Temptation erased. Chicago couple, Tai and Talaat McNeely, offer financial fasting advice on their website. One of their tips: Shop your kitchen before the store. “Look through your pantries, look through your freezers,” Tai says. “You probably already have about two weeks of meals already saved up.” Tip 3: Ask your friends for help. “If you guys see me out at the store, if you see me talking about how I’m about to buy something on Amazon, hold my feet to the fire,” Talaat says. The McNeelys also say don’t set yourself up for failure. For example, don’t make these changes during a month with a lot of special occasions, such as birthdays.
(STMW) — Walgreens has been improperly collecting Cook County’s new sweetened beverage tax on unsweetened drinks, according to a class action lawsuit filed Monday in Cook County Circuit Court. Vince De Leon, a northwest suburban Schaumburg resident, filed the two-count suit on behalf of himself and anyone who has paid the new tax on an unsweetened drink at a Walgreens location. It alleges that Walgreens violated the Illinois Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act and was unjustly enriched by collecting the taxes. The Sweetened Beverage Tax Ordinance went into effect on Aug. 2 and adds an extra penny-per-ounce tax to sugar-sweetened beverages, including everything from sodas to sweetened iced teas. The tax does not apply to unsweetened drinks such as bottled water, 100 percent juice and sparkling water. De Leon alleges he was wrongfully charged the sweetened beverage tax on a case of Dasani Tropical Pineapple Sparkling Water on Aug. 4 at the Walgreens store in the 1000 block of North Roselle Road in northwest suburban Hoffman Estates, even though the case was “clearly labeled ‘unsweetened,’ ” according to the lawsuit. De Leon didn’t know he should not have been charged the tax until later and claims Walgreens deceived him in the purchase. The lawsuit details two other transactions in which people who are unnamed in the complaint were charged the sweetened beverage tax on unsweetened beverages. A Walgreens store in west suburban Western Springs charged the tax on a case of Dasani Black Cherry Sparkling Water on Aug. 3, and a store in Chicago charged the tax on a bottle of Lipton Pure Leaf Unsweetened Green Tea, according to the lawsuit. In both purchases, the beverages were “clearly labeled ‘unsweetened.’ ” The lawsuit accuses Walgreens of continuing to knowingly charge the tax on unsweetened beverages after publicly admitting the mistake in an Aug. 2 DNAinfo article. When asked for comment by the Chicago Sun-Times, a representative for Walgreens declined to comment on the pending litigation. The class action lawsuit demands a trial by jury and seeks at least $50,000 in damages, including the refund of all improperly charged sweetened beverage taxes paid by De Leon and others who qualify. CBS 2 has also observed some retailers charging the sweetened-beverage tax on exempt drinks, including sparkling water. (Source: Sun-Times Media Wire copy; Chicago Sun-Times 2017. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Downtown Sacramento’s aging convention center could soon bear the name of a major sponsor, for the right price. “We have every opportunity to reach out locally and nationally to get real money for the naming rights to our convention center,” said Mayor Darrell Steinberg Steinberg is trying to get at least $20 million for a naming rights deal, that would help pay for the convention center’s estimated $200 million expansion project. “The companies get exposure. If you look at the Golden 1 Center, you’re getting the Kings game’s sponsorship. With the convention center you’re getting all the meetings, the home and reptile shows— but the conventions throughout the year too,” said COO of Visit Sacramento Mike Testa. Mike Testa with Visit Sacramento, which is not affiliated with the convention center, believes bidders will be lining up for the deal. “This market is changing and maturing, and that attracts development dollars,” he said. The city is borrowing a strategy from the sports world- auctioning off a name to the company with the deepest pockets. Golden 1 is paying the Sacramento Kings $120 million over 20 years for the naming rights of the team’s home. That dwarfs what the Arco Gas Company paid for the naming rights of team’s old home in Natomas 30 years ago—$20 million over 20 years. The Arco deal was the first for a sports arena in the world. That move drew controversy then, and it still does when it comes to the current convention center debate. “I think it belongs to the city; I’m not really in favor of this name sponsorship,” said Brian Lavender of Sacramento. Critics may prefer to stay original, but officials maintain, replacing a name can reinvigorate the city and its bottom line. “That’s money that will be freed—that we can then free up to spend on the other investments in Sacramento that are going to draw more people here,” said Steinberg.
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) —While the number of students playing high school sports in California is at an all-time high, football teams are seeing a drop in the number of players, according to the California Interscholastic Federation. The CIF says more parents are becoming aware of the effects of concussions, including brain damage and memory loss. Coaches across the Sacramento region are required to be certified in concussion training, but despite protections, some parents are sweeping their children into less-dangerous sports. “I think the level of play can be too intense,” said Debbie Corbett. Corbett used to be a football mom; her two sons grew up playing the high-contact sport. Corbett says it’s a decision she now regrets. “I wouldn’t do it again,” she said. Corbett isn’t alone. Parents across the state are pulling their children out of their school football teams. The CIF says that’s been the trend for the last few years. “Football is a violent game, we know that, it’s a very aggressive game,” said commissioner Michael Garrison. According to a recent census report by the CIF, football participation across the state dropped by just over 3 percent. “We’ve had a couple schools over the last couple of years that say our numbers are really low,” said Garrison. Garrison says the recent decline in student football players has to do with parents being more educated about the effects of having a concussion. “It’s not the old adage ‘I just got my bell rung, I’ll be OK in a couple of minutes,’ it’s like no, we understand the science behind that,” Garrison added. High schools around the region have been mandated by the CIF to allow no contact between student athletes during football practice, to minimize concussions. “In every sport, there’s an issue, I believe football is the safest, they have the most equipment to protect them,” said football mom Erin Saldivar. Saldivar isn’t too concerned about her two sons playing football.
She says it’s all about how the coaches train their players and how well their equipment fits, that makes all the difference. “If you wanna look for negatives you’ll find them; if you wanna look for positives you’ll find them,” Saldivar concluded. Numbers for this year aren’t out yet; the CIF will determine whether participation rates dipped even lower in the next few weeks.