ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Neighbors told police it took a drunk driver’s truck catching fire in order for her to stop, but she told police that’s not what happened. The scene last week near Eubank and Constitution had firefighters and police wondering what happened when they arrived and saw a Chevy pick-up-truck’s front end, burnt to a crisp. Albuquerque police found the driver Michelle Minero in the back of an ambulance. The 52-year-old told the officer she had just gotten home when her truck went up in flames. “I went across the street to go talk to my neighbors and all of a sudden the car was all, like, up in flames,” Minero said. Witnesses told officers something completely different. According to a criminal complaint, they said Minero was driving around the area on a flat tire, then the rims until the truck caught fire. One person even told police they had to pull Minero out of the burning truck. Minero admitted to another officer that she had “a couple of shots” prior to driving. The officer starts to perform field sobriety tests on Minero. He gives her clear instructions to walk a straight line, nine steps in each direction. Minero takes 14 steps instead and 34 steps the other direction. In the end, the officer cuffs her and charges her for driving drunk.
Filed under: Albuquerque - Metro, Crime, Home, News, SmartTV, Strange, Top Stories, Top Video
BRISTOL, Conn. (AP) – White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Wednesday that sports anchor Jemele Hill could justifiably be fired from ESPN for tweets calling President Donald Trump a “white supremacist” and “a bigot.” “I think that’s one of the more outrageous comments that anyone could make, and certainly something that I think is a fire-able offense by ESPN,” Sanders said. Sanders said she was not sure whether the president was aware of Hill’s comments. On Monday night, in a series of exchanges with other Twitter users, Hill said, “Donald Trump is a white supremacist who has largely surrounded himself w/ other white supremacists.” Hill, an African-American co-host of the 6 p.m. broadcast of “SportsCenter,” also added that “Trump is the most ignorant, offensive president of my lifetime. His rise is a direct result of white supremacy. Period.” In another tweet, she said, “Donald Trump is a bigot,” and went on to criticize his supporters, adding “The height of white privilege is being able to ignore his white supremacy, because it’s of no threat to you. Well, it’s a threat to me.” ESPN distanced itself from Hill’s tweets on Tuesday. “The comments on Twitter from Jemele Hill regarding the president do not represent the position of ESPN,” the network tweeted from its public relations department’s account. “We have addressed this with Jemele and she recognizes her actions were inappropriate.” Disney-owned ESPN did not elaborate on any possible punishment for Hill, and she was on “SportsCenter” as usual on Tuesday and Wednesday. While many Twitter users called for Hill to be fired, unemployed NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick expressed his support, tweeting “We are with you @jemelehill.” Kaepernick, who remains unsigned after opting out of his contract with the San Francisco 49ers, received plenty of criticism – and support – after kneeling during the national anthem before games last season to protest police brutality. When asked why prominent African-Americans were criticizing Trump, Sanders said she could not speak for Hill and said the president has met with respected African-American leaders like U.S. Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina, the only black Republican in the Senate. “He’s committed to working with them to bring the country together,” Sanders said. “I think that’s where we need to be focused – not on outrageous statements like that one.” The National Association of Black Journalists said in a statement that it “supports Hill’s First Amendment rights on all matters of discussion, within and outside the world of sports, as they do not impinge on her duties as a host and commentator.” Three weeks ago, ESPN said it pulled broadcaster Robert Lee, who is Asian-American, from the Virginia football season opener because of violence in Charlottesville, Virginia. The violence erupted at a rally to protest the decision to remove a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. Copyright 2017 The Associated Press.
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) — After allowing Melvin Gordon to scamper for 21 yards on his first carry, the Denver Broncos held the Chargers running back to just 33 yards on his final 17 hand-offs. Next up, Cowboys star Ezekiel Elliott. In Elliott, whose six-game suspension in a domestic violence case is on hold, the Broncos get a litmus test for their offseason makeover of their defensive line featuring the additions of nose tackles Domata Peko and Zach Kerr. “Great running backs like that can take a little bit of daylight and go all the way with it,” Von Miller said. “And it’s hard to keep it dark on the defensive line because they have a great offensive line. So, any bit of daylight he can take it the distance.” Just like Gordon, who was taken down by safety Justin Simmons with a touchdown-saving open-field tackle Monday night in Denver’s 24-21 win over the Chargers. By double- and triple-teaming Miller, the Chargers extended his career-long sackless streak to five games. But they did so at the expense of limiting their route options and Philip Rivers had just 60 yards passing through three quarters. The Cowboys (1-0) feature the best offensive line in football, but the Broncos expect them to also key on Miller so he doesn’t get to Dak Prescott on Sunday. “To block Von Miller 1-on-1 on third down or on passing downs wouldn’t be smart for anyone,” said Broncos coach Vance Joseph. Not even with an O-line that features three All-Pros in Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick and Zack Martin blocking for Elliot, a fellow first-team All-Pro. “He’s just an amazing back,” said Broncos running back C.J. Anderson. “From pass protection to catching the ball out of the backfield to picking the right spots and breaking tackles and having the long-end speed, he’s a really, really good back and our defense has got a tough matchup this week.” The 22-year-old Elliott was suspended by Commissioner Roger Goodell last month over a domestic violence case in Ohio, but that penalty is on hold as it works its way through the courts. Cleared to play, Elliott rushed for 104 yards in the Cowboys’ 19-3 season-opening win over the New York Giants on Sunday night despite the Giants’ focus on stopping the run. “That’s what we expect every week,” Elliott said. “We’re going to run the football. We’re going to show you different looks, but it’s going to be the same four plays. It’s going to be you versus us. You’ve got to stop us. You’ve got to be better than us.” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said Elliott’s legal issues aren’t adversely affecting the team. “I think the biggest thing we try to instill in our players and really try to live as coaches is just the importance of focusing,” Garrett said. “Focus on us, focus on today and focus on the task at hand, the things that are most important, which is our work, our preparation and getting better and obviously the things we can control. “So, that’s a big emphasis for all of us, again players and coaches alike. And we try to instill that in our team and certainly in situations like this it’s doubly important.” Should Elliott ultimately have to serve his suspension this season, Garrett’s goal is to make sure the Cowboys aren’t a one-man show that will stagger without him. “He’s obviously a really good player and he’s been very productive for us in the short time that he’s been with us. But you like to think you can build a team where you’re not solely reliant on any one guy,” Garrett said. Notes: The Broncos matched $87,500 in player donations to the Hurricane Harvey relief efforts. … RB Devontae Booker (hand) practiced for the first time since OTAs. Out were RG Ron Leary (concussion), FS Darian Stewart (groin) and CB Brendan Langley (knee). LT Garett Bolles (shoulder) was limited. Joseph said Booker most likely won’t play this weekend but he was pleased to see him back on the field for what was really a jog-through following the Monday night game. “He did most of our scout team reps and a small sum of our first- and second-team offensive reps,” Joseph said. By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Pro Football Writer … AP Pro Football Writer Schuyler Dixon contributed. (© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
The Wichita Wingnuts took the early series lead with a 12-7 victory over the Winnipeg Goldeyes in game one of the championship series.
The Oilers rookies couldn't overcome terrific goaltending.
DUBLIN (BCN) — A judge Wednesday dismissed a felony charge of obstruction of justice against a former Oakland police officer for his involvement with a teenage girl who’s at the center of a sexual misconduct scandal involving officers from multiple agencies. Alameda County Superior Court Judge Jon Rolefson also dismissed a misdemeanor prostitution charge against Brian Bunton, 41, for allegedly having the girl, who’s the daughter of an Oakland police dispatcher, perform oral sex on him at a hotel near the Oakland airport on March 5, 2016. Dirk Manoukian, Bunton’s lawyer, said Rolefson agreed with the defense’s position that the teen, who’s now 19, never entered into any agreement with Bunton to exchange sex for money or any other favors from the former officer. Manoukian previously argued at Bunton’s preliminary hearing in May that Bunton never entered into a conspiracy with the teen, whose name is being omitted because she was a sexually exploited teenager. But Judge Thomas Rogers, who presided over the May hearing, said he believed that “there was an implicit agreement” and the teen, who was 18 at the time of their sexual encounter, knew that it would be favorable for her to be involved with a police officer. However, Judge Rolefson ruled today that prosecutors didn’t prove that Bunton had an agreement with the teen to violate the law and obstruct justice, according to Manoukian. Rolefson found that Bunton never exchanged anything of value with the girl, Manoukian said. The defense attorney said Bunton “has faith in the legal system,” and that faith was bolstered by Rolefson’s ruling. Alameda County District Attorney spokeswoman Teresa Drenick said in a statement, “We are disappointed in the outcome of Wednesday’s hearing. We firmly stand behind the criminal charges that we filed and wholeheartedly believe that the evidence supports the charges.” Drenick said, “This office has been and continues to be the leader in bringing awareness to and educating the community on the issue of sexual exploitation, especially on the fact that youth who are sexually exploited are victims of crime.” Manoukian said the District Attorney’s Office could appeal Rolefson’s ruling or re-file the charges against him but Drenick declined to comment on her office’s plans. Manoukian said Bunton has “admitted he made bad judgments and mistakes” in his involvement with the teen but he said he believes Bunton never engaged in criminal conduct. At Bunton’s preliminary hearing, the girl testified that after Bunton left the hotel room where they had oral sex he sent a text message to her, advising her to stay away from International Boulevard in Oakland because there was going to be an undercover prostitution sting there. But under cross-examination by Manoukian the teen admitted that in a later text Bunton told her that he had lied about the alleged undercover prostitution sting “just to keep you off the streets” because it was a cold night and he was concerned about her because she was the daughter of a police dispatcher. Manoukian said Wednesday that an Oakland police lieutenant who testified at Bunton’s preliminary hearing admitted that there weren’t any prostitution sting operations on the day Bunton had oral sex with the teen. Several other officers from Oakland and other agencies also face criminal charges for their alleged involvement with the girl. In May, the Oakland City Council approved paying the teen nearly $1 million to settle her claim against Oakland officers, who she alleged had violated her civil rights. TM and © Copyright 2017 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2017 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Bay City News Service contributed to this report.
(CBS) – The Obama Presidential Center has promised not only a library, but an economic opportunity and growth for the South Side. But some current residents want to hold the Obama Foundation accountable. CBS 2’s Charlie De Mar reports. A handful of South Side residents camped out Wednesday night, ahead of a Thursday foundation meeting here at the Hyatt Regency Hotel at McCormick Place. They say they want a written agreement that ensures project neighbors benefit from the $500 million presidential center in Jackson Park. “What’s going to happen when the Obama library comes and property taxes go up?” Woodlawn resident Jeanette Taylor asks. “The people who benefit from it are not the people who live in the community,” Kenwood’s Alphonso Jones says. The residents are pushing for a “community benefits agreement” with the Obama Foundation. Residents want guarantees of economic development, education and housing. “My biggest fear is losing my nice place to live in my nice neighborhood,” Jawanza Malone says. The foundation says it’s interested in having an “ongoing dialogue with local residents.” That dialogue continues at the public meeting Thursday morning. Redfin reports between February and July, Woodlawn had the third highest increase in home values compared to similar neighborhood across the country.
WASHINGTON — Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi said that they have made a deal with President Trump on legislation to address young undocumented immigrants, and that it does not include funding to build a border wall. “We agreed to enshrine the protections of DACA into law quickly, and to... Read more »
ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – The 1-1 UNM football team has a short turnaround after their loss on Saturday to New Mexico State. The Lobos are now gearing up to play conference foe Boise State on Thursday in Idaho at 6 p.m. on ESPN. Their conference opener will be a doozy, as Boise State is coming off of a win over Troy and an overtime loss with Washington State. UNM’s Loss to NMSU was a big hit to this team, especially as they head into a rough three game stretch before their bye. Both sides of the ball looked suspect at points on Saturday night for the Lobos, but especially on offense. UNM has yet to establish their run game and senior QB Lamar Jordan has yet to find a rhythm under center after his first two games. Jordan was pulled in the NMSU game, which led to a great comeback from the Lobos with Tevaka Tuioti taking the snaps. Lamar Jordan knows he can do better and Coach Bob Davie also has faith in his QB. “You can definitely tell there is going to be a different approach with this game coming up. So, like I said, I can say whatever I want, you know, it’s only going to be proven on Thursday,” said Lamar Jordan. “You know, he hasn’t played his best in these first two games. You know, it may be like we are on offense with our running backs in that we are trying to have every play be a home run, and it’s not happening right now for us. So, you know I think that he is good, I am not going to over complicate it. He is our quarterback,” said UNM Head Coach Bob Davie. Boise State is also coming off of a tough loss on Saturday. They lost to Washington State in triple OT and also during that game their starting QB Brett Rypien would leave with a head injury. It has not yet been released, but it is most likely that Rypien won’t play and their backup will have to take the field. Boise Head Coach Bryan Harsin also said in a press conference that a true freshman could see some playing time. “We are preparing it in the way that Chase Cord is playing, and so Chase is going to be taking reps this week and preparing himself to play. And you are absolutely right if something happens he has to go in and play and you are talking about a redshirt guy that has to be ready to play,” said Bryan Harsin.
Filed under: Home, Sports
Filed under: Home, Sports