Did felon have stolen gun from police officer?

SANTA FE, N.M. (KRQE) – A convicted felon, who’s been in and out of jail for decades, got busted by the feds this time. Now, he’s accused of having a stolen State Police officer’s gun. Joseph Anaya has racked up at least three DWI arrests. In a criminal complaint, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) also states that Anaya is a convicted felon, guilty of two counts of armed robbery in a 1999 case, and voluntary manslaughter in a 2007 case for stabbing and killing a man after a fight at a party. Moreover, records show he’s been in and out of jail year after year since at least the age of 18. However, this time he’s in trouble for a federal crime. After an arrest four months ago on a warrant for intimidation of a witness, the criminal complaint filed in federal court says Anaya’s sister testified under oath that Anaya had a gun that he said was stolen from a State Police officer. She said he bragged about removing the serial number. After searching the Santa Fe home where he’d been living, an ATF agent found the gun in his closet. He was indicted last week, accused of being a felon with a gun. The complaint from May said ATF hadn’t yet figured out where the gun came from, if it was stolen. ATF and the U.S. Attorney’s Office would not provide any information when KRQE News 13 contacted them on Thursday, neither would State Police. State Police did say, while the agency has had guns stolen in the past, there’s no way to tell if this one belonged to an officer without a serial number unless the Feds test it in a crime lab for more information. In the meantime, Anaya’s still behind bars. Authorities also listened in on Anaya’s phone conversations from jail. They say days before searching and finding the gun, Anaya called a woman from jail and to her to get “that thing” from his closet. They say Anaya told the woman that his sister was trying to get him in serious trouble.
Filed under: Albuquerque - Metro, Home, News, SmartTV, Top Stories, Top Video

3 New Mexicans file lawsuit against Equifax after breach in system

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – New Mexicans are joining the dozens of lawsuit filed against one of the nation’s biggest credit bureaus, Equifax.

Last week, Equifax announced a massive data breach in its system that exposed the personal data of about 143 million Americans.

Now, three New Mexicans, a couple and one Santa Fe attorney, have filed a class action lawsuit against the agency. Their attorney, Geoffrey Romero, said more than likely, you can expect this lawsuit to get a lot bigger.

The hack included people’s names, social security numbers and birth dates. Less than a week after the agency’s announcement, three New Mexicans followed up with a lawsuit.

“We know at least one of them had their data breached. The other two, it’s unclear but they are concerned about it,” Romero said.

The agency faces mounting criticism to account for how hackers were able to break into its system. In the lawsuit filed Thursday, Romero claims the hacking, “was not sophisticated, but exploited a known vulnerability in software used by Equifax.”

Romero also said the breach could have happened as early as May — but no one was told until last week.

“People with inside information were getting rid of their stocks. That suggests to me that they were looking out for their own interest while leaving Equifax customers vulnerable,” Romero said.

Equifax is offering a free check up on its website to see if your personal information has been compromised. Analysts say this should be your first step to find out. They also recommend you freeze your credit and keep an eye on your accounts.

Filed under: Home, New Mexico, News, SmartTV, Strange, Top Stories, Top Video

Edmonton, Winnipeg mayors call for Lynn Beyak’s resignation over Indigenous issues comments: ‘Her time in the Senate should be over’

As controversy continues to swirl around an Ontario senator's contentious positions on issues affecting Canada's Indigenous people, two prominent Canadian mayors are calling for her to step down.

Surging Cubs Finish Off Sweep Of Mets With 14-6 Win

CHICAGO (AP) — Anthony Rizzo homered and had three hits, Jason Heyward went deep and drove in four and the Chicago Cubs beat the New York Mets, 14-6, on Thursday night. Chicago’s offense helped overcome a shaky debut by pitcher Jen-Ho Tseng to complete a three-game sweep. The Cubs outscored the Mets 39-14 this week after being outscored 20-3 in a weekend three-game sweep by the Milwaukee Brewers. Kris Bryant added two RBIs as the Cubs extended their NL Central lead to three games over Milwaukee and St. Louis, with the Cardinals coming to Wrigley Field for three games this weekend. Tseng threw behind the first batter he faced, fell down while covering first base on the second batter for an error and later hit a batter with a pitch in the first inning. The Taiwanese 22-year-old went three innings, giving up five runs and five hits with six strikeouts. Tseng was Chicago’s minor league pitcher of the year, going 13-4 with a 2.54 ERA in 24 starts for Double-A Tennessee and Triple-A Iowa. Mike Montgomery and Brian Duensing (1-1) followed Tseng with two scoreless innings each. Seth Lugo (6-5) was charged with eight runs, seven earned, with nine hits and a walk over three innings. The Mets took a 5-3 lead in the third inning on back-to-back home runs by Dominic Smith and Travis d’Arnaud. Consecutive RBI doubles by Jon Jay, Bryant and Rizzo highlighted a five-run fourth inning as the Cubs rallied with nine straight runs. One night after knocking in six off the bench, Albert Almora Jr. had a two-run, pinch-hit double in the sixth. Heyward added a three-run home run later in the inning to make it 14-5. Tomas Nido had his first career hit and RBI for the Mets in the ninth. HELPING HAND Cubs manager Joe Maddon donated $25,000 to Hurricane Irma relief efforts in Florida through his Respect 90 Foundation. The former Tampa Bay Rays manager lives in Florida with his wife, Jaye. Maddon said he was approached to help by the Salvation Army. Maddon has a restaurant, Ava, in Tampa, Florida, that delivered meals on Thursday and will again Friday to the Salvation Army. “This is our small attempt to help out,” Maddon said. ANOTHER DEBUT Cubs catcher Taylor Davis, 27, also made his first career start. Maddon said he wanted a familiar look behind the plate for Tseng, who played with Davis in Iowa. TRAINER’S ROOM Mets: RHP Noah Syndergaard (lat) was scheduled to throw a bullpen session Thursday. He hasn’t pitched in the major leagues since April 30. The Mets aren’t ruling out a return this season. “We owe it to ourselves as an organization to say we’ve got to get Noah out there,” manager Terry Collins said. “Peace of mind for us, peace of mind for him.” … INF T.J. Rivera (right elbow) underwent Tommy John surgery. … INF Amed Rosario left the game in the fifth inning with a tight hip flexor. … D’Arnaud left the game in the sixth inning with a twisted right knee. Cubs: RHP Jake Arrieta (right hamstring strain) threw off a mound Thursday. He could throw a bullpen session this weekend. … Maddon said the Cubs could have a timetable for the return of INF Addison Russell (right foot) on Friday. Russell has been working out in preparation for a return from the 10-day disabled list, which he has been on since Aug. 3. UP NEXT Mets: RHP Rafael Montero (5-9, 5.05 ERA) will open a three-game series Friday in Atlanta against LHP Sean Newcomb (2-8, 4.38). Montero will look to extend his career-high winning streak to four games. Cubs: RHP John Lackey (11-11, 4.65) will pitch the first of three at home Friday against RHP Carlos Martinez (11-10, 3.33) and St. Louis. (© 2017 by STATS LLC and Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and Associated Press is strictly prohibited.)

President Trump Wanders Toward Previous Stance On Charlottesville

WASHINGTON (AP) – President Donald Trump on Thursday signed a resolution condemning white supremacists and hate groups, hours after reviving his assertion that there were “bad dudes” among the people who assembled to oppose a white nationalist protest in Charlottesville, Virginia, last month. “You know, you have some pretty bad dudes on the other side also,” the president told reporters aboard Air Force once, sparking another round of criticism that the president has failed to adequately condemn hate speech. The resolution, passed by Congress earlier this week, condemns “the violence and domestic terrorist attack that took place” in Charlottesville as well as white supremacists, neo-Nazis and other hate groups. It also urges the president and his administration to “speak out against hate groups that espouse racism, extremism, xenophobia, anti-Semitism and white supremacy,” and calls on the Justice Department and other federal agencies to “use all resources available” to address the growing prevalence of those groups. “As Americans, we condemn the recent violence in Charlottesville and oppose hatred, bigotry, and racism in all forms,” Trump said in a statement announcing the signing. He called on Americans to move forward “as one people” and “to rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans.” Trump’s earlier comments on Charlottesville came one day after he met in private with Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina, the Senate’s lone black Republican, at the White House. The two discussed the president’s past remarks blaming “many sides” for the violence and death around a Confederate statue. Recounting his conversation with Scott, Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One on Thursday: “I think especially in light of the advent of antifa, if you look at what’s going on there, you know, you have some pretty bad dudes on the other side also. And essentially that’s what I said.” “Antifa” is short for “anti-fascist,” an umbrella description for far-left-leaning militant groups. Trump added that more and more people are starting to agree with him. “A lot of people are saying – in fact a lot of people have actually written, ‘Gee Trump might have a point,'” Trump said. “I said, ‘You got some very bad people on the other side also,’ which is true.” Trump last month said there were “very fine people” among the nationalists and neo-Nazis protesting the possible removal of a Confederate statue in Charlottesville. Scott said he told the president that there was no comparison. “We had three or four centuries of rape, murder and death brought at the hands of the (Ku Klux Klan) and those who believe in a superior race,” he told reporters at the Capitol. “I wanted to make sure we were clear on the delineation between who’s on which side in the history of the nation.” Scott bluntly criticized Trump for assigning blame in a way that put white supremacist protesters on equal footing with counterdemonstrators who turned out for the Aug. 12 protests, sparked by Charlottesville officials’ decision to remove a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. That remark, Scott said, compromised Trump’s moral authority as president. On Wednesday, Trump told Scott that he just meant to convey “that there was an antagonist on the other side” – to which Scott replied, “The real picture has nothing to do with who is on the other side.” Scott continued: “I shared my thoughts of the last three centuries of challenges from white supremacists, white nationalists, KKK, neo-Nazis, so there is no way to find an equilibrium when you have three centuries of history.” The president said that he got the point, Scott said. Asked if the president can regain his moral authority, Scott responded, “That will take time.” White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Trump and Scott had an “in-depth” discussion about the Charlottesville comments, “but the focus was primarily on solutions moving forward.” “That was what both people came to the meeting wanting to discuss,” Sanders said during a White House briefing. “What we can do to bring people together, not talk about divisions within the country.” Scott said Trump also brought up Seattle Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett, who has accused Las Vegas police of using racially motivated excessive force against him. Bennett sat on the bench during the national anthem before Sunday’s game at Green Bay, one of several NFL players protesting in support of former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who remains unsigned after starting the protests last year to bring attention to police brutality against minorities. “I believe he found it unsettling and challenging,” Scott said. This came as several athletes, activists and celebrities signed a letter of support for Bennett. “Michael Bennett has been sitting during the anthem precisely to raise these issues of racist injustice that are now an intimate part of his life. Now we stand with him,” the letter said. It was signed by Kaepernick; tennis legend Martina Navratilova; academic Cornel West; John Carlos, a U.S. Olympic champion who famously raised his black-gloved fist during a 1968 medal ceremony; and other athletes and activists.
Jesse J. Holland covers race and ethnicity for The Associated Press. Contact him at jholland@ap.org, on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/jessejholland or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/jessejholland.   Copyright 2017 The Associated Press.

1 Dead In 4-Vehicle Crash

By Dominic Garcia THORNTON, Colo. (CBS4)– One man is dead after police say he caused a serious car accident in Thornton. The crash happened Thursday afternoon near the intersection of 112th and Colorado Blvd.
thornton fatal ax 10pkg transfer frame 397 1 Dead In 4 Vehicle Crash

(credit: CBS)

Copter4 flew over the crash where the wreckage was strewn across all lanes of traffic and into a bordering property.
thornton fatal ax 10pkg transfer frame 97 1 Dead In 4 Vehicle Crash

(credit: CBS)

Four cars were involved and several of them were totaled. One woman was rushed to the hospital with serious injuries.
thornton fatal ax 10pkg transfer frame 157 1 Dead In 4 Vehicle Crash

Copter4 flew over the crash (credit: CBS)

Police closed 112th Avenue east of Colorado Boulevard for hours while traffic investigators combed over the scene. Police haven’t released the name of the man who died or what may have caused the accident.
thornton fatal ax 10pkg transfer frame 307 1 Dead In 4 Vehicle Crash

(credit: CBS)

thornton fatal ax 10pkg transfer frame 814 1 Dead In 4 Vehicle Crash

(credit: CBS)

Dominic Garcia anchors CBS4 News at 5 p.m. and reports for CBS4 News at 10 p.m. Connect with the Denver native on Twitter @cbs4dom & on Facebook.

Tyler Torano comes from behind to win the New Mexico Open

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Tyler Torano has his first professional win after edging the field by two strokes at the New Mexico Open. Torano’s final round 7 under 65 left him at 18 under par overall and $14,000 richer. Torano says he will share the money with his parents who helped him in pursuing his golf dream of becoming a professional. Nyasha Mauchaza and Daniel Meirnicki finished at 16 under par and tied for second. Meirnicki and Torano came to the final hole of the tournament tied at 17 under par. Mauchaza, playing in the same group was a stroke back at 16 under. Meirnicki got in trouble when he misfired and created an unplayable ball for himself. He lost a stroke on the hole while Torano fired a long birdie putt right into the cup. It was a hard fought victory for Torano who trailed by as much as four strokes on the day. “Just been grinding,” said Torano. “I play on the PGA tour Latino America. It just hasn’t been our way. You know just got to keep on grinding in this game and get a couple of breaks. I was fortunate enough to put a good round together today.” Torano finished with six birdies on the back nine. None of those birdies were more important than the last, which sealed his victory. “I knew I was trying to lag it up there and get right speed,” said Torano. “It was a pretty straight putt, nothing much in to it and I was just worried about the speed and fortunate for it to go in.”  
Filed under: Home, Sports

Firefighter Honored For 20+ Years Of Service After Cancer Death

ARVADA, Colo. (CBS4)– The community came together on Thursday to honor a firefighter who served for more than 20 years before he lost his battle with cancer. Arvada Fire Lt. Jim Schaefer died over the weekend after a year-long battle with cancer. Gov. John Hickenlooper ordered flags lowered to half-staff Thursday.
jim schaefer Firefighter Honored For 20+ Years Of Service After Cancer Death

Lt. Jim Schaefer (credit: CBS)

On Thursday, hundreds of firefighters lined the streets for the procession leading to and from his celebration of life service that began at at Faith Bible Chapel near Ward Road and 64th Avenue and ended at the Arvada Fire Training Center.
firefighter funeral 10vo frame 120 Firefighter Honored For 20+ Years Of Service After Cancer Death

(credit: CBS)

firefighter funeral 10vo frame 272 Firefighter Honored For 20+ Years Of Service After Cancer Death

(credit: CBS)

Copter4 flew over the procession. Schaefer is survived by his wife and three children. Friends say he had a passion for life and loved serving people.
firefighter funeral 10vo frame 422 Firefighter Honored For 20+ Years Of Service After Cancer Death

(credit: CBS)

firefighter funeral 10vo frame 0 Firefighter Honored For 20+ Years Of Service After Cancer Death

(credit: CBS)