DALLAS (AP) — Miro Heiskanen and Brett Ritchie scored in the third period, and the Dallas Stars beat the San Jose Sharks 3-2 on Friday night for their fourth consecutive victory.
The game was tied at 1 before Heiskanen scored from the top of the right faceoff circle 4:38 into the third. Ritchie then got his second of the season at 6:26, making it 3-1 Dallas.
The Stars also got a solid performance from Ben Bishop, who made a season-high 41 saves.
Evander Kane and Logan Couture scored for San Jose, which was coming off consecutive wins against Montreal and Carolina. Erik Karlsson had two assists, and Martin Jones stopped 27 shots.
The Sharks dominated the first period, outshooting Dallas 13-5. San Jose nearly scored 1:14 into the game when Timo Meier’s shot from the slot hit the right post.
At 9:22, Kane took a pass from Karlsson on the inside edge of the left circle and slid the puck inside the left post for his eighth goal of the season.
On a 2-on-0 break at the end of a Dallas power play early in the second period, Bishop trapped the puck under his pads. It trickled into the net, but the play had been whistled dead.
The Stars tied the game at 14:05. Roman Polak sent the puck out of the Dallas end and Mattias Janmark picked it up at the San Jose blue line for a breakaway. He beat Jones for his second goal of the season.
Dallas had a 2-on-1 break that put the puck in the net with 2:14 left in the second, but the officials ruled Jamie Benn had kicked it in.
Couture tipped in a shot by Karlsson 31 seconds after Ritchie’s goal. But San Jose was shut out the rest of the way.
NOTES: Dallas C Martin Hanzal played for the first time since undergoing offseason spine surgery. … Sharks C Joe Thornton played in his 1,514th game, tying Steve Yzerman for 18th on the NHL career list. … Kane’s goal was his first in nine games.
Sharks: Complete a quick two-game trip at Arizona on Saturday.
© Copyright 2018 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed
The district said unpaid debts for the academic year now total $45,859.
ESTES PARK, Colo. (CBS4)
– The parents of missing Air Force Academy Cadet Micah Tice are pleading for President Trump to get involved in the search for their son. Tice, 20, was last seen on Thanksgiving Day.
Micah Tice (credit: Rocky Mountain National Park)
Search crews say hikers told them they saw and hiked with Tice for about 20 minutes on the Saturday after Thanksgiving Day. Tice was wearing sweatpants and tennis shoes.
Snow and strong winds in the extreme mountain terrain made finding clues to his whereabouts difficult. In the absence of additional clues, active broad scale search operations were suspended on Dec. 4, after seven days of searching.
On Friday, nearly two weeks after he was last seen in Rocky Mountain National Park, Micah’s parents made a public plea for a more extensive search effort.
(credit: Rocky Mountain National Park)
“President Trump has the ability to break through the bureaucratic mess of agency and elected officials who are now posturing and refusing to work with each other, to rescue my son Micah Tice. President Trump, we plead for your help,” said Micah’s father Benjamin Tice.
Benjamin Tice (credit: CBS)
“The news that we received from hikers that went up there yesterday as well as the day before is that there are many viable shelters that will protect from the elements. So we don’t think that he’s in good condition, but there is still hope,” said Benjamin Tice.
Kyle Patterson with Rocky Mountain National Park released an extensive statement on Friday, that expressed sympathy for Micah Tice’s family, along with more details about the continued search, “Further search activities related to this area occurred today with rescuers and a search dog in the drainages below that particular zone of interest. There were no additional clues. The upper alpine portion is planned to be searched tomorrow, with appropriate personnel as conditions allow.”
Additional Information from Rocky Mountain National Park:
Response from Rocky Mountain National Park to statements made during the Tice family news conference tonight, December 7, 2018.
First and foremost, our hearts continue to go out to Micah’s family and friends. We cannot begin to understand the pain and anguish Micah’s parents must be feeling, coupled with their helplessness in wanting to find their son. We also want to find Micah.
Rocky Mountain National Park Search and Rescue Team members began our active search efforts at sunrise on Tuesday, November 27, three days after Micah was last seen. Severe blizzard conditions existed on the mountain when he left the trailhead at 6:30 a.m. on November 24, reported to be wearing sweatpants, a sweatshirt and tennis shoes. Micah had apparently not communicated his plans to anyone.
The search for Micah has continued in severe winter conditions. The number of rescuers in the field beginning the morning of November 27 through Monday, December 3, has been appropriate given the difficulty of the high alpine environment, and the safety of the rescuers.
Ground resources needed on a daily basis were fulfilled from park staff and numerous partner agencies. Per the park’s request, the Colorado Search and Rescue Board provided a review on day four of search efforts and concurred with the ongoing operation and resource levels.
Military assets used have included helicopter support from the Colorado Air National Guard, cell phone analysis from Air Force Resource Coordination Center (AFRCC), and the mountaineering club from USAFA. Rocky Mountain National Park was not contacted by Fort Carson to provide assistance.
Regarding the cell phone transaction data that is referenced in their news conference this information was oversimplified. There are several potential areas identified as ‘transactions’ where Micah’s phone may have been at around 3:35 a.m. on Sunday morning, November 25. The cell phone data was requested early in the investigation, and received on Thursday, November 29. Cell phone data provided broad areas of potential transactions but is vague information given the limitations of the signal in that area. These transactions are not “pings” nor texts nor phone calls. This information indicates the cell phone was picking up a signal early Sunday morning. The large area referenced in the news conference has been challenging to access due to extreme winter alpine conditions and terrain.
On Sunday, December 2, there was finally an improvement in weather. This area was flown by Colorado Air National Guard helicopters and tracks were identified. These tracks were considered a good clue to pursue and ground teams were directed to search a lower area where the tracks led. These potential tracks were also searched the following day, Monday, December 3, and were finally ruled out, with no further clues.
Further search activities related to this area occurred today with rescuers and a search dog in the drainages below that particular zone of interest. There were no additional clues. The upper alpine portion is planned to be searched tomorrow, with appropriate personnel as conditions allow.
The family referenced ‘shelters,’ there are no shelters but innumerable large boulders.
Regarding comments made pertaining to the Albert SAR – Rocky Mountain National Park is the fourth most visited national park and last year was the third busiest park for search and rescue operations in the country. We have some of the most experienced and trained search and rescue professionals in the country. We are also grateful for the strong partnerships we have with other professional search and rescue organizations in the state who are composed of dedicated volunteers. Our staff are accustomed to more than one hundred incidents a year. The Albert SAR was similar in duration and resources. There are differences in the two incidents with regards to objectives and tactics. In no way did the search for Ryan Albert impact our resources on the search for Micah.
The search operations for Micah have had broad agency review and input, including partner rescue organizations. All reviews conducted have supported the ongoing search operation.
Snowfall and high winds in this extreme high mountain terrain make finding clues to Tice’s whereabouts even more difficult. In the absence of additional clues, active broad scale search operations were suspended on December 4, after seven days of field searching. However, limited search activities will occur during winter months as conditions allow, such as today and tomorrow.
CHICAGO (CBS) —
President Donald Trump’s former attorney Michael Cohen illegally hid millions of dollars in income he received in a financial arrangement with a Chicago taxi cab operator, federal prosecutors said Friday.
Federal prosecutors in New York recommend a “substantial” prison sentence for Cohen
, but the government is recommending Cohen get up to five years in prison for his crimes.
Michael Cohen, former personal attorney for U.S. President Donald Trump, exits the Loews Regency hotel and walks toward a taxi cab, July 27, 2018 in New York City. (Photo by Drew Angerer/Getty Images)
Two sentencing memos pertaining to Cohen came down Friday — one from Special Counsel Robert Mueller and the other from New York’s U.S. Attorney. That second memo brings up Chicago and outlines millions Cohen made from taxi-related loans but never disclosed.
Chicago’s taxi medallions, even with ride sharing, are urban gold. They are required to legally drive a cab in the city. Cohen owns more than a dozen medallions. According to the U.S. Attorney’s sentencing memo, Cohen made millions off the medallions by offering loans to a Chicago taxicab operator who leased them. He is now accused of failure to pay taxes on the $2.4 million in interest he made off those loans.
“And frankly it adds on to the jail sentence that he would’ve got from everything else because he didn’t pay his taxes on the Chicago taxi connection,” said CBS 2 legal analyst Irv Miller.
The family to which Cohen loaned those millions also owns several units in a River North high rise, according to documents. Profits from those loans date back to 2012.
The government states Cohen evaded similar tax payments on more than $1 million he made off New York’s cab business, too.
The sentencing memo also lists Cohen’s other crimes, including illegal campaign contributions and attempts to influence the 2016 election for his then client “individual 1,” or President Donald Trump.
Those cases involve pre-election payoffs and attempts to suppress Trump’s affairs with adult film actress Stormy Daniels and former Playboy model Karen McDougal. About his cooperation the government stated “Cohen repeated declined to provide full information about the scope of any additional criminal conduct.”
“Michael Cohen did not want to be forthcoming with the government, that he held back on things,” said Miller.
Miller says the sentencing memo from Special Counsel Robert Mueller makes one thing clear — Cohen kept Russian lines of communication open well into the election.
“And now this document today kind of corroborates the fact that there were discussions between Michael Cohen and Russian representatives with “individual 1” knowing about it.
States owed unpaid tax revenue could choose to go after those dollars, Miller said.
Cohen will be sentenced next week.
LOS GATOS (CBS SF) — A Jesuit organization on Friday released the names of three dozen priests credibly accused of sexual abuse. Among those listed are seven clergy members who are now at a retirement retreat in Los Gatos.
All of the names are on the website of Jesuits West, which governs Jesuit clergy in the Western U.S.
The provincial superior says the organization wants to be transparent and he’s acknowledging the suffering of abuse survivors.
In his statement, Father Scott Santarosa said: “I apologize to the victims and families who put their trust in a Jesuit, only to have that trust so profoundly betrayed. It is inconceivable that someone entrusted with the pastoral care of a child could be capable of something so harmful.”
The full list of names is available online at: https://bit.ly/2QHF1EG
OAKLAND (KPIX 5) — The Oakland A’s have unveiled plans for a futuristic new ballpark near Jack London Square much to the delight of A’s fans.
It would be a pretty spectacular spot for a ballpark — perched by the water overlooking Alameda — but it’s not just baseball fans cheering the A’s vision for a stadium at Howard Terminal.
Transit advocates say the stadium could push forward two major projects: the removal of Interstate 980 and the construction of a second BART tube.
Construction on Interstate 980 divided Oakland in the late 70s and the freeway itself divides the city to this day.
Downtown and West Oakland are now separated by 550 feet of highway lanes and access roads, creating a long unpleasant walk for anyone trying to bridge the gap on foot.
“It’s actually the on-ramps and off-ramps to the 980 connector that create such a great barrier,” explained Chris Sensenig, an urban designer and founder of Connect Oakland, a group that has been pushing to replace I-980 for several years. The Howard Terminal ballpark falls right in line with that vision.
“There’s an opportunity to turn this underutilized freeway into a multi-way boulevard and open up 17 acres of city-controlled land,” Sensenig said.
The removal of Interstate 980 is just the start of this vision because, if the freeway is removed, something else can be buried in the same spot — that’s where Connect Oakland sees the future of BART.
BART is now planning for a second bay crossing and a route out of Oakland through Alameda is one popular option. The Connect Oakland map lines up perfectly. If it were to be buried under the removed freeway, a new BART line would be a straight shot from MacArthur Station to the ballpark then to Alameda and, ultimately, San Francisco.
For Sensenig, it’s an opportunity to turn the ballpark into two pivotal transit projects and a reunification of central Oakland.
“Can we re-conceive this as an on-ramp to a second bay tunnel where BART, Caltrain, maybe high-speed rail? It’s a perfect location for something special.”
CHICAGO (AP) — Lauri Markkanen scored 24 points and drove for the go-ahead layup in the closing seconds to lead the Chicago Bulls to a 114-112 victory over Oklahoma City on Friday and their first win under coach Jim Boylen.
The Thunder’s Russell Westbrook had just hit a tying layup when Markkanen beat Paul George and banked in a layup over the outstretch arm of Steven Adams, making it 114-112 with 4.9 seconds left.
George’s 3-pointer from the top of the key then ricocheted off the rim, and the Bulls came away with the win after dropping seven in a row.
They also gave Boylen something to celebrate in a difficult week. The longtime NBA assistant took over Monday when Fred Hoiberg got fired following a 5-19 start, and the Bulls lost the following night at Indiana in his debut.
Markkanen hit four 3-pointers in his third game back after missing the first 23 because of a sprained left elbow.
Zach LaVine scored 25. Justin Holiday scored 20, going 4 of 6 from beyond the arc, and Jabari Parker finished with 16 points.
Westbrook had 24 points, 17 rebounds and 13 assists in his 109th triple-double, though he also turned the ball over 10 times. Adams finished with 21 points and 10 rebounds. George and Dennis Schroder each scored 19, but the Thunder’s four-game win streak came to an end.
The Thunder outscored Chicago 29-17 in the third quarter to turn a 70-62 halftime deficit into a 91-87 lead going into the fourth quarter.
They were up 98-91 when Chicago went on a 14-2 run, with LaVine hitting a tiebreaking 3 and Markkanen adding two free throws to make it a five-point game with 4:46 remaining.
Thunder: Coach Billy Donovan said “nothing was brought to my attention” about possibly adding C Joakim Noah, trying to revive his career after signing with Memphis this week. “Our roster’s pretty complete so that’s probably the biggest thing,” he said. “No one’s a bigger fan and admires him more than I do.” Noah starred for Donovan on back-to-back NCAA championship teams at Florida and spent his first nine NBA seasons in Chicago before spending two with the New York Knicks.
Bulls: Boylen wasn’t sure if G Kris Dunn (sprained left MCL) and F Bobby Portis (sprained right MCL) will return from their injuries Saturday when the Bulls host Boston. “I’m not trying to be vague; I don’t know yet. We kind of wait to see how they respond in the morning, it’s one of those types of things. We check in and we go from there.” Dunn has appeared in just one game — Oct. 22 at Dallas — while Portis has played in four.
(© 2018 by STATS LLC and Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and Associated Press is strictly prohibited).
BOULDER, Colo. (CBS4)– A music professor from the University of Colorado has been nominated for a Grammy Award. Don McKinney’s nomination was announced on Friday.
RELATED: Grammy Nominations 2019: Full List Of Nominees
McKinney was nominated as a producer for the Dallas Winds recording of “John Williams at the Movies.” It’s in the category of best classical compendium.
You can watch the Recording Academy’s 61st annual Grammy Awards live on Sunday, Feb. 10, 2019 at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT on CBS, CBS All Access or fuboTV. Start a free trial.
– Gas prices have dropped to their lowest level in a year. That’s part of the reason why OPEC decided on Friday to cut production.
Gas prices in Denver are down 11 cents per gallon in just one month, according to Triple A. The average price is $2.44, which is also the national average.
Gas pump (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
In Colorado, Denver has the lowest gas prices with the highest average in Vail at $3.06.