Category Archives: california

Stockton Gets Closer To Adding CSU Campus

STOCKTON (CBS13) — Lieutenant Governor Eleni Kounalakis is visiting Stockton Monday to reportedly learn more about building a potential new California State University campus.

Mayor Michael Tubbs and Assemblymember Susan Eggman will give the Lieutenant Governor a tour CSU Stanislaus’ Satellite campus.

ALSO: Mayor Tubbs: Possible CSU Stockton Campus Would Bring Jobs To Community

When Governor Gavin Newsom announced his 2019 budget, he included $2 million to fund a review of a new CSU campus in San Joaquin County.

The tour is from 11:00 a.m to 11:30 a.m.

FEMA Rejects $306M In Reimbursement For Oroville Dam Repairs

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A state agency says the federal government has rejected $306 million in reimbursements for California’s repair of the nation’s tallest dam.

The amount is less than half of what California has so far requested from the Federal Emergency Management Agency to repair Oroville Dam, where spillways crumbled and fell away during heavy rains in early 2017.

The problem prompted nearly 200,000 people to evacuate but the dam did not collapse.

FEMA has approved $333 million for repairs. State water officials put total reconstruction costs at $1.1 billion.

The California Natural Resources Agency on Friday confirmed the amount of money rejected and said the state plans to appeal the decision.

FEMA has not responded to emails seeking comment.

The Sacramento Bee reports FEMA says damage to the upper gated spillway existed before the heavy rains.

 

© Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Man Who Gambled In New Jersey From California Forfeits $90K

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (CBS SF / AP) — New Jersey gambling regulators have ordered a California man to hand over more than $90,000 from online accounts he had funded and gambled with from outside the state in what appears to be the largest such case in the more than five years internet betting has been legal in New Jersey.

The state Division of Gaming Enforcement said this week that Vinh Dao, whose hometown was not made public, violated New Jersey law requiring that internet betting be done only by those physically within the state’s borders.

Due to his cooperation and to negotiate an end to the case, which began more than five years ago, the state agreed to let Dao keep $2,500 of the nearly $93,000 that was in his online accounts with sites affiliated with the Borgata and Caesars Interactive-NJ.

The case dates to February 2014, just three months after internet gambling began in New Jersey, a time when geolocation technology was still developing and being adjusted in the state.

New Jersey has long touted the strict geolocation technology it uses to make sure internet gambling is only happening within its borders, and considers itself a national role model in the field. It has said most of the many attempts each day to gamble from outside the state are detected and turned away.

A message seeking comment was left Wednesday with Dao’s attorney. It was not immediately clear how Dao was able to get around geolocation technology designed to ensure a person is within New Jersey’s borders.

The technology erects a sort of digital fencing around New Jersey. A key component — but only one of several used to verify physical locations — is data from wireless carriers. They rely on connections that phones make to the nearest cell tower. While people can easily download applications to their phone that will let it mask its GPS coordinates, users cannot thwart or trick cellphone tower data, tech execs say.

Multiple layers of high technology should also work to ensure that minors or people on casino exclusion lists don’t get online to gamble. Companies will cross-check the information provided by a customer at sign-up against several public and private databases and other sources. That could lead to software asking a personal identifying question that only a legitimate user would be able to answer.

The casino companies that allowed Dao to gamble online from outside New Jersey could be subject to fines. The Borgata declined comment; Caesars Interactive said it would look into the details of the case, but did not address potential penalties, and regulators did not respond to questions about the case Wednesday.

The forfeited money will be split between a fund for senior citizens and the disabled, and programs to prevent or treat compulsive gambling.

The Dao case was the largest of six forfeiture cases made public this week involving casino companies accepting bets from people ineligible to gamble, because the patrons were under 21 years of age, had placed themselves on a self-exclusion list, or in Dao’s case, were acting from outside the state’s borders.

In addition to the Borgata and Caesars Interactive, smaller forfeitures were ordered in cases involving Bally’s and the Golden Nugget.

© Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Return Of The Atmospheric River

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Another atmospheric river is heading our way from Hawaii.

Rain is predicted for Sacramento on Tuesday morning and again Wednesday.

The wind is going to pick up tomorrow night.

ALSO: Sierra Weather: Despite Warnings, Drivers Still Heading To Mountains

Up to three inches of rain is predicted to fall in parts of the Central Valley.

For complete coverage, visit our CBS13 weather page by clicking here.

 

California: Trump Administration Plan To Renege On $3.5 Billion For High Speed Rail “Disastrous”

SACRAMENTO (AP) — Leaders of California’s high-speed rail project told the Trump administration Monday its plans to withhold or claw back $3.5 billion in federal money for the project was “legally indefensible” and “disastrous policy.”

Terminating the money “would cause massive disruption, dislocation, and waste, damaging the region and endangering the future of high-speed rail in California and elsewhere in the nation,” Brian Kelly, the chief executive for the project, wrote in a letter to Jamie Rennert of the Federal Railroad Administration.

Kelly’s letter is in response to a February threat by the U.S. Department of Transportation to withhold a $929 million grant for the project and possibly take back $2.5 billion in federal money the state has already spent.

Congress and the Obama administration allocated the money almost a decade ago for California to build a high-speed rail line between Los Angeles and San Francisco. A segment of the train in the Central Valley is now under construction, and the $3.5 billion is a key piece of its budget.

The threat was an escalation in California’s ongoing feud with the Trump administration. It came after Gov. Gavin Newsom suggested changes to the project in his State of the State address. He said the project as currently planned would cost too much and take too long, and said he wanted to focus first on building a longer line in the Central Valley.

Newsom has since said he still intends to build the full line, but Trump used his comments to decry the project as a “failure.” Newsom said Trump’s call to take back the money was retaliation for the state’s lawsuit against the president’s declaration of a national emergency at the U.S.-Mexico border.

California must meet certain construction and environmental review deadlines by 2022 as part of its agreement with the federal government. Kelly said the state is meeting its obligations and that the vision of the project has not changed.

© Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Notorious California Serial Killer Juan Corona Dead At 85

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Juan Corona, who became the nation’s most prolific serial killer when he was convicted in 1971 of killing and burying the bodies of 25 California farm laborers, died Monday at age 85.

Corona died Monday at an undisclosed hospital, Vicky Waters of the state Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation reported. He had been serving a life sentence at a state prison in Corcoran, California, before he was hospitalized.

juan corona cal department of corrections

Juan Corona (CDCR)

The farm laborer contractor was convicted of killing 25 farm workers, including many he’d hired, and burying their bodies in shallow graves on orchards and farms along the Feather River, north of Sacramento.

Most were stabbed and hacked to death. One was shot in the head.

Corona was arrested after a peach farmer who had contracted with him for hired pickers became suspicious upon finding a hole that had been freshly dug and then quickly filled in.

The farmer called authorities, suspicious someone was burying garbage in his orchard. Instead they found the body of a man whose head had been hacked and his torso riddled with stab wounds.

Corona was arrested a week later and subsequent searches turned up the bodies of 24 more people, including several Corona had recruited for farm work.

He was convicted of 25 counts of murder in 1971 and sentenced to 25 concurrent life sentences.

He nearly died in a prison stabbing two years later that cost him the sight in his left eye.

Juan Corona in an earlier picture and in 2018 (CDCR)

In 1978 an appeals court overturned Corona’s conviction, ruling he had received incompetent representation from his attorney.

He remained incarcerated while he was retried and was convicted again in 1982 on the same 25 counts.

He would be denied parole eight times, most recently in 2016.

“It was a gruesome manner of killing. He hacked these people to death,” Sutter County District Attorney Amanda Hopper told The Associated Press after attending Corona’s last parole hearing.

Campaign 2020: CA Primary One Year From Today

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — California is exactly one year out from the state’s presidential primary.

That’s a full three months earlier than in 2016.

ALSO: Campaign 2020: Vote By Mail Ballots Go Out In A Year

The move is designed to increase California’s influence in deciding which presidential candidates should move forward.

You can register to vote in California by clicking here.

Is California Out Of The Drought?

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — February saw storm after storm, filling reservoirs and swelling rivers, and putting the snowpack at above-average levels. Overall, the storms have created conditions that California has not seen in a pretty long time.

So the big question on everyone’s mind is: is California officially out of the drought? The short answer is yes.

Three months ago. 84 percent of the state was in some form of a drought. Now, most of the state is looking good and the Department of Water Resources is happy about that.

“In California, we look at drought conditions based off our precipitation, our snowpack, and our reservoir levels. All of those are healthy right now. They’re all above average,” said Chris Orrack with the DWR.

WATCHCaught On Camera: Woman Rescued From Car Buried In Snow For Hours

Shasta Lake is at 119 percent above the historic average. The state’s largest reservoir rose 39 feet in February alone and is now only 24 feet from its rim.

The Folsom Lake reservoir, near Sacramento, is at 110 percent of its historical average, and Don Pedro, west of Yosemite, is at 115 percent.

In the Sierras, the snowpack has more than doubled in the last month alone. We’ll find out how much water it’s holding when officials take that measurement in April.

Despite the promising numbers, conservation is still a must.

“We need to be ready for when those drought conditions come back,” Orrack said.