Category Archives: Crime

Danforth shooting: SIU says ‘no basis’ to lay charges against Toronto police in gunman’s death

A report from the Ontario's SIU says the Danforth shooter decided to kill himself rather than surrender to police.

Police Use Taser On Man Who Pulled Knife On Roommates; 2 Officers Injured

CHICAGO (CBS) — Chicago police used a Taser to subdue a man who pulled a knife on his two roommmates, and then attacked officers responding to the incident in the Little Village neighborhood. Officers were called to the scene of a domestic disturbance near Cermak and Sacramento around 2 a.m. Police said a 29-year-old man had threatened his two roommates – a 48-year-old woman and a 34-year-old man – with a knife, and “became combative” with responding officers. The man allegedly bit one of the officers on the hand and arm, and attacked a second officer, causing minor injuries to the officer’s leg and arm. The officers radioed for backup, and the extra officers used a Taser on the 29-year-old man. The man was in custody, and was being treated at Saint Anthony Hospital. Two injured officers were taken to the hospital, where they were in good condition.

Man Charged With Sexually Assaulting Woman He Met On Dating App

CHICAGO (CBS) — A Northbrook man has been charged with sexual assault, after he allegedly attacked a woman he met on a dating app. Buffalo Grove police said 40-year-old Anthony Lamonica turned himself in on Friday, after Lake County prosecutors approved two felony charges of aggravated criminal sexual assault, based on an eight-month investigation. A woman in her 30s told police she met Lamonica on a dating app in 2017, but didn’t meet him until April 2018. She agreed to go on a date with Lamonica, and after dinner, they returned to her home, where he sexually assaulted her, police said. A judge set Lamonica’s bond at $500,000, and he was released after posting his 10 percent bail. He is due back in court on Feb. 1.

San Jose Police Seek Help In Identifying Liquor Store Killing Suspects

SAN JOSE (CBS SF) — Police on Tuesday released surveillance images of two suspects connected to a shooting last month at a San Jose liquor store that killed a 43-year-old man. The Dec. 14 shooting at El Rancho Liquors, located at the corner of West Alma and Almaden avenues, killed Nathan Johnson-Harper of Fresno. Police have released little details about the fatal shooting and said that a motive is under investigation. The first suspect is described as a possibly Hispanic man in his 20’s with a medium build, curly medium length hair, a mustache and goatee. He was last seen wearing a black jacket, a black T-shirt and light blue jeans. The second suspect is described as a possibly black man in his 20s with a slender build. He was last seen wearing a knit cap, a black hoodie and white gym pants, according to police.
suspects San Jose Police Seek Help In Identifying Liquor Store Killing Suspects

Surveillance photos of the two suspects. (SJPD)

Anyone with information about the suspects is asked contact Det. Sgt. Bert Milliken or Det. John Figone at (408) 277-5283. Callers wishing to remain anonymous can call the Crime Stopper Tip Line at (408) 947-7867. Callers who provide information leading to an arrest and conviction may be eligible for a cash reward, police said. © Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Man Tries To Kidnap Woman Outside Marin County Civic Center

SAN RAFAEL (CBS SF) — A man tried to kidnap a woman outside of the Marin County Civic Center in San Rafael early Tuesday morning but she was able to fend him off and he fled in a van, police said. The attempted kidnapping was reported at 12:57 a.m. after the woman left work on Civic Center Drive and walked toward a bus stop, but realized as she neared it that she had missed the last bus. As she was walking back to her workplace on the west side of the road, a dark-colored minivan with tinted windows pulled up behind her and a man got out and grabbed her from behind, trying to pull her toward its open sliding door, according to police. The woman fought back and struck the suspect with her umbrella, causing him to let go of her and flee in the van, which was last seen heading south on Civic Center Drive. The victim ran from the area and called 911, police said. Authorities responded but did not locate the van. The woman described the suspect as a Hispanic man between 20 and 30 years old who was about 5 feet 8 inches tall with a muscular build and smelled of alcohol and body odor, according to police. Anyone with information about the case is asked to call San Rafael police at (415) 485-3000. People can also leave information anonymously online at http://www.srpd.org/tips.

SFPD Release Sketch Of Suspect In Brutal Attack On 89-Year-Old Grandmother

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — San Francisco police released a sketch of the suspect in a brutal beating attack on an 89-year-old woman in the city’s Visitacion Valley neighborhood. It happened Tuesday at, or near her home on the 1000 block of Visitacion Ave. The victim, Yik Oi Huang is at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital where she is being treated for life-threatening injuries. Huang was found unconscious at the Visitacion Valley Playground across the street from the residence. “My dad found her lying unconscious with her head covered in blood and her arm bruised,” said Sasanna Yee, the victim’s granddaughter.
Officers arrived shortly before 7 a.m. Officers began “going door-to-door, knocking, canvassing, seeking videos from a large area so that no stone is left unturned,” said San Francisco Police Capt. Jack Hart. Family members describe her as a “rosy-cheeked, jolly grandmother” with a “radiant heart.” The said this was the second time the victims home had been burglarized in a year. Investigators believe the suspect attacked the victim in the park and then entered her home across the street. He is described as a black man in his 30s who is about 5 feet 6 inches tall with a skinny build, police said.
Investigators from the Police Department’s Special Victims Unit have been dedicated to the case and released a forensic sketch of the suspect Tuesday. Anyone with information about the attack is asked to call the department’s 24-hour tip line at (415) 575-4444 or to send a tip by test message to TIP411 and start the message with “SFPD.” © Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Bay City News Service contributed to this report.

Mother Who Tried To Drown Newborn In McDonald’s Toilet Pleads No Contest

REDWOOD CITY (CBS SF) – A 26-year-old woman has pleaded no contest to child endangerment charges after trying to drown a baby she had just given birth to in a bathroom at the McDonald’s restaurant where she worked as a cashier in Redwood City in 2017, prosecutors said Tuesday. Sarah Lockner, a Redwood City resident, was employed at the McDonald’s restaurant at 185 Chestnut St. and on her shift on Sept. 4, 2017, she went to the bathroom multiple times and complained of stomach pains, according to the San Mateo County District Attorney’s Office. A co-worker went into the bathroom to check on Lockner and saw blood on the floor, but Lockner said it was from a heavy period. When a second co-worker went to check on her, she looked over the stall where Lockner was and saw a newborn baby face down in the toilet bowl with Lockner’s hand on the baby’s back, prosecutors said.
sarah lockner redwood city police photo

Sarah Lockner (Redwood City Police Dept.)

As the co-worker stepped down to the floor, she heard the toilet flush. Lockner told the co-worker not to call the police, but police were called and officers arrived to find a baby boy that had no pulse and was not breathing, according to the district attorney’s office. The boy was rushed to a hospital and after a medically induced coma, is surviving on his own, prosecutors said. Lockner claimed she did not know she was pregnant. She was initially charged with attempted murder, but pleaded no contest Monday to the felony child endangerment plea with an enhancement for inflicting great bodily injury on a child under 5 years old in exchange for a sentence of up to four years in state prison, prosecutors said. She will return to court on May 3 for sentencing. Lockner’s defense attorney Jonathan McDougall was not immediately available to comment on the case. © Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Man Arrested After Hours-Long Standoff At Pleasant Hill Shopping Center

PLEASANT HILL (CBS SF) – A 46-year-old man was arrested after crashing into an unoccupied police vehicle in Walnut Creek early Tuesday morning and then leading officers on a pursuit to the Crossroads Shopping Center in Pleasant Hill where a standoff ensued for hours, police said. Francisco Lima was allegedly driving recklessly in a U-Haul rental truck that struck an unoccupied Walnut Creek police patrol vehicle that was parked in the 1800 block of Lacassie Avenue shortly before 3 a.m., according to Walnut Creek police. A nearby officer who was on foot had to quickly move away from the patrol vehicle to avoid being struck by the U-Haul truck, police said.
Francisco Lima. (Pleasant Hill Police Department)

Francisco Lima. (Pleasant Hill Police Department)

Officers then pursued the truck as it drove north to the shopping center at Monument Boulevard and Buskirk Avenue in Pleasant Hill. Lima stopped there and remained inside the truck, disobeying police commands to get out. Eventually at 8:06 a.m., Lima exited the vehicle and officers took him into custody. He was taken to county jail in Martinez to be booked on suspicion of attempted assault with a deadly weapon and driving recklessly while evading police. The standoff caused a major traffic backup in the busy area of the shopping center, which is located just off of Interstate Highway 680. © Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

San Francisco Oceanview Home Ransacked At Gunpoint

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — Armed gunmen broke into a home in San Francisco’s Oceanview District early Tuesday, ransacking a room at gunpoint and then fleeing the scene, authorities said. San Francisco police said officers were called to investigate a home invasion robbery in the 200 block of Sagamore at around midnight. Investigators said a 67-year-old man was asleep in his upstairs bedroom when he heard noise downstairs. He went to investigate the noise and was confronted by two masked suspects with handguns. The suspects forced the victim upstairs at gunpoint where they ransacked a room and then fled. The victim then alerted his 30-year-old son, who called 911 and waited for police to arrive. Responding officers set up a perimeter and brought the victims out of the residence. The officers searched the residence and surrounding neighborhood for suspects, but they had already fled the scene. The preliminary investigation revealed that the suspects stole a backpack containing a wallet and contents. The suspects were described as two male subjects wearing bandannas over their faces.