Category Archives: East Bay News

Man Gets 25-Years To Life In 2013 Oakland Hills Paramedic Murder

OAKLAND (CBS SF) – An Oakland man who was only 16 at the time was sentenced Friday to 25 years to life in state prison for the shooting death of an off-duty paramedic in the Oakland hills six years ago.

Christian Burton, now 22, was convicted Oct. 31 of first-degree murder and the special circumstance of committing a murder during a carjacking for the fatal shooting of Santa Clara County paramedic Quinn Boyer, 34, shortly before noon on April 2, 2013.

However, jurors didn’t find that Burton was the person who shot Boyer, who lived in Dublin and had been married for less than a year.

Boyer crashed his car down a ravine in the 5200 block of Keller Avenue after he was shot and died two days later of a single gunshot wound to his head.

Quinn Boyer, a Santa Clara County paramedic, was fatally shot in the Oakland Hills on April 2, 2013. (Family Photo / Bay City News Service)

Quinn Boyer, a Santa Clara County paramedic, was fatally shot in the Oakland Hills on April 2, 2013. (Family Photo / Bay City News Service)

Boyer grew up in Oakland and had been in the city that day to take his father to a medical appointment.

Alameda County prosecutor Jimmie Wilson said after the verdict that he believes Burton was the shooter but jurors had reasonable doubt about that because the only eyewitness in the case, a woman who’s now 80 years old, identified another teen, Nazhee Flowers, as the person she thought shot Boyer.

Alameda County Superior Court Judge Kevin Murphy said the “ambiguity” about whether Burton, who was with five other teens at the time, was the shooter is one of the reasons he decided to sentence Burton to 25 years to life instead of life in prison without parole.

Murphy said another reason is that Burton didn’t have a significant previous criminal record.

Burton’s lawyer Ernie Castillo said sentencing Burton to life in prison “would be too oppressive, too excessive” because he has a very low IQ, suffers from a learning disability and grew up in a troubled and abusive home.

But Wilson asked for the maximum sentence possible, saying, “I don’t think Mr. Burton cares about what he did. I think that’s sad and that’s tragic.”

Boyer’s wife Liz Boyer also said that during the six years of Burton’s legal proceedings, “I’ve seen nothing to show that Mr. Burton really cares about the level of devastation he’s caused, the amount of pain.”

Liz Boyer said she and Quinn Boyer had been married for less that a year when he was killed and the day before the shooting he had surprised her by buying plane tickets to Hawaii to celebrate their first anniversary.

Wilson said during Burton’s trial that the fatal shooting of Quinn Boyer occurred during a crime spree in which he and the five other teens who played hooky from school on that spring day committed two carjackings and a robbery in addition to the shooting.

Wilson alleged that the teens wanted to carjack Boyer’s Honda Civic, as he had pulled his car off to the side of the road to use his cellphone.

But Castillo told jurors in his closing argument that they should find Burton not guilty because the eyewitness’s description of the shooter matched Flowers, not Burton.

This was Burton’s second trial for the death of Boyer because his first trial in 2015 ended in a mistrial with jurors deadlocked 7-5 in favor of finding him guilty.

Co-defendant David McNeal, who was 15 at the time of the shooting, was found guilty of first-degree murder in that same 2015 trial and was sentenced to 48 years to life in state prison for his role in the crime, which was providing the gun that was used to kill Boyer.

Three of other teens involved in the crime pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in juvenile court for being accessories and are serving their sentences with the state Division of Juvenile Justice.

Flowers, the person who Castillo alleges was the teen who shot Boyer, pleaded guilty in adult court to a carjacking charge and was sentenced to 15 years in state prison.

© Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Trapped Man Dies In Early Morning Bay Point Fire

BAY POINT (CBS SF) — A man died early Friday after he became trapped inside a burning home in Bay Point, authorities said.

Contra Costa County Fire Protection District Capt. Steve Aubert said crews responded at 1 a.m. to the 100 block of Loftus Road to a report of a structure fire.

Arriving firefighters found a home with flames and heavy smoke coming out of the structure. A woman had been able to safely escape the flames, but her husband was trapped inside the home.

A rescue effort was immediately mounted and the man was located and pulled from the burning home. He was rushed to the hospital but succumbed to his injuries. The man’s identity was not immediately released.

The blaze was contained and its cause was under investigation.

Oakland Marks 10-Year Anniversary Of Day 4 Officers Slain In Line Of Duty

OAKLAND (KPIX 5) — The Oakland Police Department held a memorial Thursday to mark the ten-year anniversary of the death of four officers, shot by a wanted felon.

Police officers gathered at Saint Benedict Catholic Church to remember the tragic day that left Oakland and the Bay Area in mourning.

On March 21, 2009, Officer John Hege and Sergeant Mark Dunakin were shot during a traffic stop of a wanted felon linked to a series of violent rapes. Dunakin was pronounced dead at the scene while Hege died of his injuries three days later.

SWAT team members Sergeant Ervin Romans and Daniel Sakai were killed by the same suspect later that day while storming an apartment looking for him. Their fellow officers then shot and killed the suspect.

At the time, it was the deadliest attack U.S. law enforcement since the September 11 attacks and the deadliest in California since 1970.

“Our fallen heroes are never forgotten,” said Oakland Police Chief Anne Kirkpatrick.

“This is just a stark reminder to us what a dangerous job our police officers have and that as a city we mourn every loss of life,” said Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf.

The city holds a memorial for the officers every year, but for many of their comrades, time has not healed the pain even after 10 years.

“We have officers who just couldn’t come to work today,” said Kirkpatrick. “It’s too hard on them.”

OPD made sure that all beats around the city were covered during Thursday’s memorial. Many of the attendees came in on their days off, others made sure that the shifts were covered.

San Pablo Domestic Violence Shooting Leaves Woman Critically Injured

SAN PABLO (CBS SF) – San Pablo police heard gunfire while they were approaching a house Wednesday night to investigate a report involving a man who was threatening to shoot himself, and shortly after that a woman ran out with a gunshot wound to her abdomen.

The woman was transported to a hospital for treatment and remained in critical condition Thursday morning. Police said the suspect, later identified as 30-year-old Javier Portillo, ran out immediately after the victim and was detained without incident.

The call for service originated from an address on South Victoria Court just after 10:15 p.m. Wednesday. During a subsequent search of the house, officers located several unregistered firearms, including a 9mm handgun thought to have been used in the shooting.

Investigators believe the violence may have been started by a domestic dispute.

Portillo was arrested on suspicion of attempted homicide.

© Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Raiders To Stay In Oakland For 2019 After City Council Approves Coliseum Lease

OAKLAND (CBS SF) — The Oakland City Council voted Thursday morning to extend the Raider’s lease agreement for this season with an option for the 2021 season, according to city officials.

The vote was cast during a special council meeting at City Hall Thursday morning a press release from council member Rebecca Kaplan said.

The approval by the Oakland City Council comes after Alameda County Board of Supervisors unanimously approved the lease agreement on Tuesday.

The Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority commissioners had already approved the lease deal with a unanimous vote on Friday.

ALSO READ:

The National Football League had imposed a March 24 deadline for the Raiders to find a place to play their home games this fall.

The Raiders plan to move to Las Vegas in the near future but a new football stadium that’s being built for them there won’t be ready until the fall of 2020 at the earliest.

The Coliseum Authority and the Raiders had reached a tentative agreement for a new lease late last year but it fell apart after the city filed a federal breach of contract lawsuit in December against the Raiders and the National Football League for the move to Las Vegas.

Many fans feared that the Raiders’ game against Denver last Dec. 24 would be the team’s final game in Oakland and the team explored the possibility of playing this fall at other venues outside and inside the Bay Area, including Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara and Oracle Park in San Francisco.

However, nothing materialized so the Raiders resumed negotiating with the Coliseum Authority. Scott McKibben, the authority’s executive director, said after the authority’s board meeting on Friday that the lease agreement calls for the rent the Raiders pay to the authority to increase by $4 million this year, from $3.5 million to $7.5 million.

McKibben said if the new stadium in Las Vegas isn’t ready by the fall of 2020 and the Raiders need to play in Oakland for a second additional season the rent will increase even more, to $10.5 million.

McKibben said the agreement also calls for the city and county to get all the revenue from the naming rights to the Coliseum if the authority finds a new sponsor for the stadium and for a cap on game-day expenses, which he said can be costly.

“When [Raiders owner] Mark Davis took the deal off the table I told him to look at other options if he wanted but to remember us,” McKibben said. “They did their window shopping but they realized they had a good deal here,” even if the new lease is less favorable to the Raiders than previous leases.

The new lease agreement has no impact on the current lawsuit the city of Oakland is pursuing against the Raiders and the NFL over the move to Las Vegas.

© Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Bay City News Service contributed to this report.

Accident Shuts Down Northbound I-238 Connector To I-880 In San Leandro

SAN LEANDRO (CBS SF) — The California Highway Patrol has issued a severe traffic Thursday morning after an accident closed the northbound I-238 connector ramp to northbound I-880 in San Leandro.

The closure was first reported at about 10:45 a.m. as crews worked to remove debris from an early morning big-rig accident on the connector ramp. As of 1 p.m., CHP reported that there were detours in place for tractor trailers to take northbound I-238 to southbound I-880 and turn around at Winton Ave in Hayward.

Traffic was severely backed up on northbound I-880 and westbound I-238 extending to westbound I-580 through Castro Valley.

The closure had the back-up stretching all the way to the Castro Valley BART Station by shortly before 1 p.m.

Tractor trailer were being allowed to use westbound I-580 through Oakland until further notice. Motorists are advised to expect delays and to use alternate routes to avoid the area. CHP said there was no estimated time to reopen the roadway.