CHICAGO (CBS) — Attorneys representing Kenneka Jenkins’ family said police will release additional photos and documents to the public on Friday from the investigation into the 19-year-old Chicago woman’s controversial death inside a Rosemont hotel freezer last month. Jenkins’ mother, Tereasa Martin, and sister, Leonore Harris, met with investigators at the Rosemont Police Department for an update Thursday, and police denied their requests to review the full case file, according to a statement from the attorneys. Instead, police told them the reports, photos and videos would be released publicly on Friday, “with the exception of a few select photographs they wished to share with the family before they were released,” attorneys said, describing them as being “of a personal, private and indecent nature.” “Frankly, [the] photos depicting how [Jenkins] was found raise more questions about what happened to [her] than they answer,” attorney Larry Rogers Jr. said in the statement. “The pictures are graphic and disturbing images and inexplicably show portions of [her] body exposed.” Rosemont police could not immediately be reached for comment Thursday night, and the attorneys could not be reached for follow-up questions. According to the attorneys, the photos show Jenkins’ body as it was found Sept. 10 in an unused walk-in freezer at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. She had last been seen attending a party in a hotel room nearly 20 hours earlier. Jenkins’ death was ruled an accident by the Cook County medical examiner’s office. An autopsy found she died of hypothermia with alcohol and topiramate intoxication — a prescription drug used to treat epilepsy and migraines — listed as contributing factors. Still, conspiracy theories about a possible cover-up in the investigation have circulated on social media since her death. Police have maintained that no foul play is suspected.
CHICAGO (CBS) — Ongoing construction on the new CTA 95th Street Terminal will cause changes in bus boarding locations for several routes starting Friday night. The eastern bus boarding area at the terminal, closest to State Street, will close at 10 p.m. Friday, according to a statement from the CTA. Seven CTA bus routes and five Pace bus routes will board at different locations until Nov. 10. The No. N5 South Shore Night Bus, the No. 108 Halsted/95th bus, the No. 112 Vincennes/111th bus, and Pace bus routes 352 and 395 will board at the center island of the West Terminal, the CTA said. The No. 95 95th street bus and Pace routes 359 and 381 will board at the northwest corner of 95th and Lafayette. A temporary bus terminal at 95th and State will facilitate boarding for the No. 100 Jeffrey Manor Express bus, the No. 103 West 103rd Street bus, the No. 106 East 103rd Street bus and Pace route 353, the transit agency said. A similar closure of the western bus boarding area will start Nov. 10, according to the CTA. (Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2017. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
CHICAGO (CBS) — A 24-year-old man was charged with attacking and robbing a 70-year-old man in August in the Lakeview neighborhood on the North Side. Karon Cannon allegedly approached the man about 6 p.m. Aug. 7 near the Red Line station in the 3900 block of North Sheridan and punched him in the face, knocking him to the ground, according to Chicago Police. Cannon then allegedly struck the man with a “dangerous weapon,” stole the man’s personal belongings and ran away, police said. The man was treated for head injuries at Illinois Masonic Medical Center, police said. Cannon was taken into custody about 9:20 p.m. Oct. 18 in the 1300 block of West Roosevelt, police said. He was positively identified from surveillance video as the robber and charged with felony counts of armed robbery – other dangerous weapon and aggravated battery causing great bodily harm. Cannon, of the Near West Side, was expected to appear in bond court on Friday. (Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2017. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
CHICAGO (CBS) — About 400 people — many of them Cubs fans heading home after the team’s season-ending loss to the Los Angeles Dodgers — had to evacuate their Metra train when it caught fire late Thursday in Evanston. The engine of outbound train 367 on the Union Pacific North line caught fire about 11 p.m. near the Davis Street station in Evanston, according to a Metra spokesman. Passengers then boarded the following train, 369, when it stopped in Evanston. No injuries were reported. (Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2017. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
ROCKLIN (CBS13) — After two years of failed attempts, the fate of the dilapidated Sunset Whitney Country Club in Rocklin could soon be decided. The former Rocklin Golf Club shut down in 2015. The city now wants to purchase the property, but it won’t come cheap. Dick and Laura Harris have lived in their Rocklin home for 30 years, but their fondest memories are the times spent right behind it at the former Rocklin golf course, essentially right in their backyard. Laura Harris said, “All our marriage we spent playing and having the kids over.” What was once known as Rocklin’s jewel is now an overgrown eyesore, and has been for two years. “Sure it’s sad,” said Dick Harris. The course was bought in 2012 by golf pro Charlie Gibson. It was shut down in 2015 after the city denied the owner’s request for a new housing development. The city now wants to bring life back to the Sunset Whitney Country Club. Homeowner Mariam Noble says it can’t come soon enough. “It will be such a relief,” she said. City Councilman Joe Patterson says the latest plan would turn the 54-year-old golf course into an open, public space. “I think it’s a promising proposal, best one we’ve had so far,” said Patterson. It’s an expensive proposal as well. The city would buy the property for $5.8 million to be paid over five years. Most of the money would come from development fees, and a large chunk would come from the city’s oak tree preservation fund, which is paid into by developers and residents every time a tree is removed. Still, some say $5.8 million is a bit excessive. “I think it’s lot of money.” But, Rocklin business owner Steve Holt isn’t completely opposed. “I would have to see what they have planned for it.” For the Harrises, anything is better than what it is now. “I am delighted. It’s going be saved for all of us to enjoy,” said Harris. The city council will vote on the plan Tuesday. City officials say there is a tentative deal with the owners of the property. One of the owners, Charlie Gibson, declined to comment.
WEST SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Police in West Sacramento are revving up new efforts to fight the homeless crisis near the river. The city has purchased an off-road vehicle to find hidden homeless camps that are hard to access. “We can take services out to the individuals in these illegal camps and hopefully get them out of that environment and get them into housing,” said Sgt. Roger Kinney, West Sacramento Police Department. “Not even a large 4-wheel drive vehicle can get in there, but this UTV, it can get where we need to go.” He’s talking about homeless camps near the Sacramento River that police have been trying to clean up. Kinney said it’s much easier to do with a four-wheel drive, off-road utility terrain vehicle at their fingertips. “What would take us a day sometimes a day and a half to check some of these areas for illegal camps, we’re doing it in about 2 hours now,” he said. There are six officers specifically trained to drive the UTV, and they’ve been taking it out every other day. With two seats in front and two in the back, there’s room for homeless coordinator Mark Sawyer to ride along. “I can reach more people and get out and provide more ongoing support at a much quicker rate,” Sawyer said. Support that includes finding medical services, jobs and housing for the dozens of homeless people in West Sacramento. “It actually saves us money probably in the long run because it’s allowing us to get out and be more efficient with our time,” Sawyer said. “Most people think it’s cool. It is cool!” Erin Leahy, who lives on the streets near the river, told CBS 13 she doesn’t think providing services for the homeless is the top priority for the officers. “I think they’re just driving up and down the river, probably to see who’s camped there just to tell them to leave,” she said. But Kinney told CBS13 the officers are committed to finding help for the homeless first and making an arrest is the last resort. “We just started, but we’ll see what this does for us in the next couple years,” Kinney said. “We’re excited!”
By Bruce Levine– CHICAGO (CBS) — It was just shy of a year ago that the Cubs celebrated their first National League pennant in 71 years at the expense of the Dodgers. On Thursday night, ace Clayton Kershaw, little-known Enrique Hernandez and the Dodgers exacted their revenge on the hollowed ground of Wrigley Field. In a dominating performance, the Dodgers finished off the Cubs with an 11-1 victory in Game 5 of the National League Championship Series to earn their first trip to the World Series since 1988. Perhaps we should’ve seen this coming. The Cubs’ grueling NL Divisional Series win against the Nationals went the distance and taxed their bullpen. That was followed by a cross-country flight from Washington D.C. to Los Angeles that took 12 hours because of a medical issue. Throughout the NLCS, the Cubs’ play was sluggish. They refused to use any of that as an excuse. All that mattered was the Dodgers were clearly better. “In the end, the Dodgers just out-executed us,” infielder/outfielder Ben Zobrist said after the Cubs were undone by Kershaw’s six strong innings and a three-homer night from Hernandez. “That was it more than us being tired or having a rough go of it. They played better than us in the regular season, which is why they had home-field advantage. We were stretched in the first series to five tough games. We could have set ourselves up better. The bigger story is they out-executed us in the series.” The Cubs were 43-45 and trailed the Brewers by 5.5 games at the All-Star break. They played quality baseball in the second half, but these Cubs never had the feel of a great team. An NL Central title and exciting series win against the Nationals seemed apt for this team. “It makes it easier to know we went out there and just got beat,” third baseman Kris Bryant said. “We did not beat ourselves with a lack of fundamentals. They just played a better series than we did. You just have to tip your hat to them.” In quite an accomplishment, the Cubs have advanced to the NLCS three straight times, with a World Series sandwiched into between. This marked the first time the franchise had advanced to the playoffs for three consecutive seasons since 1906-’08. There was nothing to be ashamed of in the aftermath of defeat late Thursday. “I told our players that this year illustrates how important it is to get off to a good start,” manager Joe Maddon said. “We did not do that. We had to fight back, which we did. It is another lesson learned. You want to emphasize the importance of getting off to a good start next season. I wanted them to be cognizant of that.” Finding a team with more fortitude than these Cubs of the past few years would be difficult. But they’ll have a different look next year. Almost assuredly, rotation members Jake Arrieta and John Lackey won’t return. Arrieta will enter free agency in several weeks and likely be priced out of the Cubs’ preferred range. Lackey is expected to retire after a 16-year career. The next group will be tested in new ways. And when the sting of this exit subsides and that time comes, there’s every reason to believe the Cubs’ sustained success will continue and the championship window will remain open for years to come. Bruce Levine covers the Cubs and White Sox for 670 The Score and CBSChicago.com. Follow him on Twitter @MLBBruceLevine.
YUBA COUNTY (CBS13) – The names of the four victims lost in the Cascade Fire were released Thursday by the county coroner. It’s in the devastated community that neighbors are trying to now come together. The Foothill Lions and Lioness Club usually gathers on Thursday night, but this time they’ll be missing a member, David Culp. “He’ll be missed. We have a meeting tonight, and there will be a vacant spot,” said Lions member and friend, Mike Saala. He said his Vietnam brother survived the war, but the 76-year-old was killed trying to save his home. “People came by and told him it’s getting too close he had to leave, but being the stubborn vet that he was, he decided to stay with his equipment figuring he could stop it where was at,” Saala said. The Cascade Fire ripped through Loma Rica without warning, destroying nearly everything in its path and taking the lives of four people. A couple engaged for more than 15 years were among them. 78-year-old Stanley Coolidge and 53-year-old Roseann Hannah were found in a home off of Loma Rica where only small white flowers now stand. Stanley’s son Andrew, a council member in Chico, said his father was a prominent attorney in the Yuba Community for 40 years. Hannah leaves behind two sons. “My deepest and sincerest appreciation to everyone who has conveyed their thoughts and prayers to our family during this difficult time,” said Andrew Coolidge. The fire was so intense with wicked winds that some couldn’t escape. “The tops of the trees in the orchard’s were just on fire. People drove through trees, tunnels, fences,” Saala day. Sandra Picciano, 77-years-old, was one of them found in her car trying to escape. Between the devastation and lives lost, Saala said. It’s a loss for everyone. “It’s a real tragedy what happened to him. I’m still trying to get it through our heads that he’s not going to be around for the parades,” said Saala. The community just hopes and prays this will be the end of tragic stories left to tell. Currently, the Yuba County Sheriffs office has no outstanding missing persons reports from the cascade fire.
By Chris Emma— CHICAGO (CBS) – Long before Joe Maddon saw John Lackey as a gutsy veteran, he got to know a young pitcher establishing himself in his big league career. Maddon was there for the baseball upbringing of a 23-year-old Lackey back in 2002 with the Anaheim Angels. As the team’s bench coach, Maddon could already see the fiery demeanor that would come to define Lackey’s 16-year career and also came to know the man behind the intense scowl. On Thursday night, the Cubs’ season ended with an 11-1 loss to the Dodgers in Game 5 the National League Championship Series. Lackey entered in the fourth inning of a 7-0 game and pitched two innings of relief before walking off the mound for what may be the final time in his big league career. Lackey turns 39 on Monday and just completed the final year of his contract with the Cubs. Maddon knows retirement is certainly possible for Lackey, so he took a trip down memory lane to 2002 with those World Series champion Angels. “John and I go way back,” Maddon began. “John and I were together with the Angels in the 2002 World Series team. At that time I was the bench coach. The bench coach has more liberties as opposed to the manager. So I used to be able to go out drinking with the boys a little bit back then. So John and (Brendan) Donnelly and (Ben) Weber, and all those guys, Adam Kennedy, great guys. I got to know them really well. “So it’s really special for me with John. I think that might be it — I’m not a hundred percent sure he’s not coming back next year. But the competitive component, what you see when he’s pitching right now, it’s nothing new. When he gets upset or the histrionics or gesticulations or whatever, that’s John. But he’s always been that dude. And if you’re his teammate, you absolutely love him. He’s got the biggest heart in the world.” Lackey is a three-time World Series champion with a career 188-147 record and 3.92 ERA. His was a big-game performer in the playoffs, registering a 3.36 ERA in 28 playoff appearances, including 23 starts. “Hopefully it’s not (the end of his career), but if it is, having that chance to be with him in that moment is pretty special for me,” Maddon said. “Maybe not special for him, but special for me.” Chris Emma covers the Bears, Chicago’s sports scene and more for CBSChicago.com. Follow him on Twitter @CEmma670 and like his Facebook page.
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — New claims of sexual harassment continue to rattle the state Capitol. More women in politics are coming forward with disturbing accusations. They’re a few of California’s most powerful female lobbyists, making headlines from coast to coast for calling out sexual harassment in the highest levels of state government. “We shouldn’t be ashamed about this,” said Adama Iwu. Adama Iwu, a lobbyist for Visa, was inspired by the women who came forward with stories of sexual abuse by Harvey Weinstein, and those using the “me too” hashtag. She penned a detailed letter, published in the Los Angeles Times, about her own ordeal. “A colleague who had too much to drink came up to me and just was obnoxious… I finally push him away, and look at my other colleagues and said, how did you miss that?” she said. More than 140 women signed on to the op-ed, with one message: “We’re done with it,” said Iwu. Now hundreds of other government employees, from legislators to staffers are breaking their silence too, from California to Washington D.C., sparking a new movement, “we said enough,” and a website where victims are encouraged to share their stories anonymously, and without naming names. “There very well would be political and career ramifications for women who did that at this time,” said Samantha Corbin. Samantha Corbin runs a Sacramento lobbying firm. She says her focus now is changing the culture at the Capitol. And that starts when women can complain confidentially without fear of retaliation; being demoted or, in many cases, blacklisted. And, she says, when the right people are held accountable. “Particularly as men are allowed to remain in their positions after being repeat offenders. You certainly don’t want to repeat a conservation with someone who’s sexually harassed you,” she said.