Tag Archives: Jon Burge

Chicago Poised To Pay $5.25 Million In Police Torture Case

CHICAGO (AP) — The price tag of a police torture scandal that’s already cost Chicago more than $100 million will likely grow after city attorneys recommended paying $5.25 million to a man who alleges he was beaten into confessing to a murder he didn’t commit.

The recommendation to settle Alonzo Smith’s wrongful conviction lawsuit is expected to be followed by the City Council next week, following a pattern that has seen dozens of men who alleged torture by detectives under the command of former Commander Jon Burge from 1972 to 1991 win jury awards and settlements from the city.

Smith spent about 20 years in prison for a 1983 slaying before his conviction was dismissed.

Burge was convicted in 2011 of lying in a civil case about his actions. He died last year.

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Alleged Chicago Police Torture Victim Granted New Trial, But Remains In Prison

CHICAGO (CBS) — A man who has spent the last 28 years in prison will not be released while he awaits a new trial.

Gerald Reed says police, under the direction of disgraced former commander Jon Burge, beat him into confessing to a 1990 double murder.

98FD083B859C4E59BCA48C201C38F936 Alleged Chicago Police Torture Victim Granted New Trial, But Remains In Prison

(Credit: CBS)

Last month a judge threw out Reed’s confession and ordered a new trial.

Family members and other supporters want him released immediately.

Wednesday Reed’s attorney filed a motion to dismiss the indictment. Prosecutors will respond at the next court hearing on Jan. 30.

Alleged Burge Victim Will Not Be Home For The Holidays

CHICAGO (CBS) – A convicted murderer who claims Chicago police tortured him won’t be home for the holidays after all.

Gerald Reed spent 28 years in prison for a double murder he says he didn’t commit.

98FD083B859C4E59BCA48C201C38F936 Alleged Burge Victim Will Not Be Home For The Holidays

(Credit: CBS)

This week a judge granted a new trial for Reed based on his claims he was beaten by police under the direction of disgraced former commander Jon Burge.

Reed says detectives forced him to make a false confession.

jon burge Alleged Burge Victim Will Not Be Home For The Holidays

Former Chicago Police Cmdr. Jon Burge (Credit: Charles Rex Arbogast/AP)

He’s been granted a new trial, and his lawyers requested he be set free on bond.

The news of his possible release brought his mother to tears this week, knowing her son could be home for Christmas.

But the judge said that decision will wait until Jan. 9.

Reed served 28 years of a life sentence.

Gerald Reed, Convicted Of Murder And Awaiting Re-Trial, Could Be Released On Bond Friday

CHICAGO (CBS)—Gerald Reed spent 28 years in prison for a double murder he says he didn’t commit.

98FD083B859C4E59BCA48C201C38F936 Gerald Reed, Convicted Of Murder And Awaiting Re Trial, Could Be Released On Bond Friday

(Credit: CBS)

Today, Reed will find out whether a judge will let him out in time for Christmas –as he awaits a new trial.

Reed says detectives under disgraced Police Commander Jon Burge forced him to make a false confession.

He’s been granted a new trial, but Cook County Judge Thomas Gainer will decide today whether Reed will be released on bond.

The news of his possible release brought his mother to tears this week, knowing her son could be home for Christmas.

Reed has served 28 years of a life sentence in prison.

 

 

Chicago Schools Adding Police Torture Scandal To Curriculum

CHICAGO (AP) — One of the most shameful chapters in the story of Chicago is about to be taught to students all over the city.

On Monday, the Chicago Public Schools announced that a pilot program launched last year in which students are taught about a police torture scandal that has dogged the city and the police department. The episode will now be part of the curriculum for every 8th grader and high school freshman in the nation’s third-largest school district.

“Only by facing history directly and honestly can we heighten understanding of this dark chapter and increase our ability to confront its challenges,” Mayor Rahm Emanuel said in a statement.

Monday’s announcement comes more than two years after the City Council approved an ordinance that called for the city to pay $5.5 million in reparations to the African-American victims of torture at the hands of former Police Commander Jon Burge and his detectives. That adds to the more than $100 million the city has paid victims, some of whom spent decades in prison for crimes they didn’t commit, over lawsuits related to the scandal.

As part of financial settlement with some of more than 100 people tortured by Burge and his so-called “Midnight Crew” of detectives, the ordinance also included a formal apology from the City Council, psychological counseling and other benefits such as free tuition at city community colleges and other measures as well as the commitment to teach students about the torture in schools.

The reparations are part of a larger effort to regain public trust in the department that eroded over the years, in large part because of stories about how Burge and his detectives shocked black suspects with cattle prods or beat them with phone books until they gave false confessions in the 1970s until the early 1990s.

The distribution of the $5.5 million early last year at the time the city was trying to heal the wounds of another incident: the fatal shooting of black teenager Laquan McDonald by a white police officer who fired 16 shots into the body of the teen. The incident was caught on dash cam video.

The students will learn about the torture that devastated lives and tore families apart — and will hear from the victims themselves about what they and their families endured. Students will also learn about the failures of the police department and other officials that allowed the torture to go on for years as well as efforts by community groups and others that ultimately helped win the release of torture victims from prison.

(TM and © Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Taxpayers To Pay $4 Million To Settle Police Torture Claim

Taxpayers To Pay $4 Million To Settle Police Torture Claim

CHICAGO (CBS) — Chicago taxpayers will spend $4 million to compensate a man who claims he was tortured into confessing to the murder of a cabdriver by a detective who had worked under convicted former Area 2 Commander Jon Burge.

Shawn Whirl spent nearly 25 years in prison for the 1990 murder of cabdriver Billy Williams. A father of three, Williams was shot in the head in his cab in the Far South…

View On WordPress