Tag Archives: Rocklin

Student Planning Abortion Protest After School Shooting Walkout

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Last week they protested gun violence.

This week, Rocklin High School students are using social media to organize a pro-life walkout using the hashtag #life.

“To honor all the lives of aborted babies pretty much. All the millions of aborted babies every year,” said organizer Brandon Gillespie.

He says his history teacher inspired the idea.

RELATED: California High School Teacher On Leave After Questioning School Shooting Walkout

As thousands of students across the country walked out of class demanding strict gun laws, in honor of the Parkland shooting victims, Benzel was placed on paid administrative leave when she asked students to consider whether there’s a double standard in the national school walkout.

“I would like a conversation about when is too much? And are we going allow this on the other side?” said Julianne Benzel

The principal at Rocklin High declined to meet with us for an on-camera interview, but a district spokeswoman tells us, he does plan to sit down with the student about the possible abortion walkout, and that’s not going over well with some of his peers.

RELATED: Rocklin Teacher Who Questioned School Shooting Protest Back In Classroom

“Abortions aren’t really anything that has to do with school or students here,” said Naeirika Neev.

Neev is the editor of the school newspaper. In her posts, she’s using the hashtag “enough is enough” to promote peace, and take a stance against anything anti-abortion on campus.

“They have their First Amendment, they can go protest about that anytime anywhere,” she said.

But Brandon says protesting on school grounds is just the point.

“I would like to see if there really is a double standard and what will come of that,” he said.

He doesn’t have a date for the protest, but he does with the principal. Their meeting is set for this Friday.

Rocklin Teacher Who Questioned School Shooting Protest Back In Classroom

ROCKLIN (CBS13) — A teacher who put on leave after she made comments questioning a nationwide student protest of gun violence has returned to the classroom.

“Overwhelmed by the support of this community,” she said in tears.

An emotional Julianne Benzel, sat down with CBS13 again, after a welcoming return to class, Monday.

“It was wonderful to see my students. They were glad to have me back. And I was glad to be back in the classroom,” she said.

Her classroom has sparked a national conversation about the politics of protests.

“If high schools or public schools are going to be places of civic activism, I could not be a better proponent for it. But it has to be afforded to any student to protest anything,” she said.

It’s that opinion that got Benzel in trouble, last Wednesday, the day of the national school walkout against gun violence, in honor of the victims of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, in Parkland, Florida.

Rocklin High School put the history teacher on a paid leave of absence when she questioned whether schools would support walkouts for other polarizing political issues, including abortion.

A spokeswoman tells CBS13, in part:

“The teacher was not penalized or placed on leave based on her viewpoints. The actions were taken due to complaints from parents and students.”

On campus, the free speech controversy has erupted on some of the teenagers’ famous form of expression, social media.

“Free Mrs. Benzel,” a group of students yelled.

“She’s pretty much just asking a question, and the fact that she was put on administrative leave for having students think is just ridiculous,” said student Alexia Najera.

Some students feel the opposite is true.

“What she said was inappropriate. You’re in a public school environment, and you’re surrounded by kids—people who cannot make decisions on their own, and so you kind of just change their opinion,” said student Alana Andrews.

But strong opinions is exactly what Benzel is advocating for.

“I don’t want a double standard in this country, and that is the next step. It needs to be addressed,” she said.

Arson Suspected In Rocklin Playground Fire

ROCKLIN (CBS13) – A Rocklin playground play structure was set on fire and police investigators suspect it was arson.

The incident happened Saturday night at Margaret Azevedo Park. When fire crews arrived on the scene they found a play structure on fire. Video of the aftermath shows one slide and a set of stairs completely melted.

“We take these things seriously and we would like to be able to find who is responsible for the damage,” said Rocklin Police Department spokesperson Greg Jenson.

Poice say one suspect was seen by witnesses running from the scene towards the area of William Jessup University.

Anyone with information about the fire is asked to call Rocklin police.

Grass Valley Man Arrested After Illegally Selling AR-15s To Undercover Agent

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP/CBS13) — Authorities say a man from Grass Valley was arrested for manufacturing and selling AR-15 rifles — known as “ghost guns” that are virtually untraceable — to an undercover federal agent.

According to the Sacramento Bee, court documents say the arrest Thursday stems from a five-month Homeland Security investigation that used the dark web, Bitcoin payments, secret meetings, and discussions of buying grenades, anti-personnel mines and explosives.  The man met customers at the Bass Pro Shop in Rocklin.

A 31-page criminal complaint unsealed Friday unveiled the alleged plot.

The man made an initial appearance Friday in federal court on charges of unlawful dealing and manufacturing in firearms and unlawful possession of an unregistered firearm and was ordered to remain in custody pending a hearing Wednesday.

The weapons are legal for an individual to make for themselves, but cannot be sold.

 

Rocklin Coach Leads Charge Against California’s Youth Tackle Football Ban

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — A Rocklin coach is taking on a controversial bill on tackle football.

Two California lawmakers are looking to ban the contact sport for children under 14, but parents who want to keep youth football alive a throwing their support behind an online petition that opposes the whole idea.

“It will end the sport of football,” said Jason Ingman, who started the petition on Saturday. “Baseball is America’s pastime, but football is America’s passion!”

There are roughly 250 youth football organizations in Northern California alone, full of kids who play the sport and rely on it. But research linking the contact sport with long-lasting brain trauma makes many parents uneasy about enrolling their children.

“Their body parts and everything else are very fragile at that age, and I feel like they should wait,” said Monique Gaines, a mother of two.

That idea fueled Assemblymembers Kevin McCarty and Lorena Gonzalez Fletcher to propose the Safe Youth Football Act. The bill would ban children under 14 years old from playing the game until high school.

“The Golden State’s children need to know that no touchdown or interception is worth long-term damage to their brains caused by tackle football,” McCarty said.

Ingman played football for UC Davis and has been coaching youth teams for eight years. When he heard about the pending legislation, he started a petition called Save Youth Football in California.

“We’re just hoping they’ll let us make that decision for ourselves,” he said.

In just five days, the petition has gotten more than 35,000 signatures across the country.

“They’re all outraged because they know as California goes, a lot of the rest of the nation will follow,” Ingman said.

He says concussion research on 50-year-olds hit while playing at a professional level can’t be applied to 10-year-olds playing at a much slower pace. And that the game has seen too many safety improvements in recent years to give up on the sport just yet.

“Without youth football, high school football can’t function,” Ingman said. “And without high school football, college football can’t function. And without college football, the NFL can’t function.”

Ingman says he looks forward to sitting down with McCarty to convey how important youth football is to many families.

Tanker Carrying Cooking Oil Rolls Over In Rocklin

ROCKLIN (CBS13) – Crews are working to clear the scene of a tanker rollover on an Interstate 80 onramp.

The scene is near westbound I-80 onramp at Sierra College and Commons Drive.

The accident happened a little before 11:30 a.m. Friday.

Rocklin Firefighters say the tanker was carrying cooking oils.

Lanes on Sierra College are reduced and the entrance to Commons Drive at the Target shopping center entrance from Commons Drive is closed.

Authorities are asking people to avoid the area if possible.

Missing Rocklin Man’s Pickup Truck Found

ROCKLIN (CBS13) – Authorities say they have found pickup truck of Rocklin man missing since Jan. 11.

Rocklin police say 55-year-old Raymond Wright’s Ford F-250 was found in Sacramento on Sunday. Wright is still nowhere to be found.

Police have said Wright lives in Rocklin and works in the Rio Linda area.

Family told CBS13 that the details around Wright’s disappearance have them worried. Wright reportedly had a confrontation with a stranger he found inside of his brother’s home a few days before his disappearance.

Wright’s phone was last pinged to the Rio Linda and North Highlands area, police say.

Details Around Rocklin Father’s Disappearance Have Family Worried

ROCKLIN (CBS13) — The brother of a Rocklin man missing for a week is speaking out about his disappearance and about the confrontation he had with a stranger he found inside his brother’s home.

Ray Wright’s family calls him reliable, always keeping in contact with his family.

So when they hadn’t heard from him for a couple of days, his brother, Dean, went to check on him at his house and he made a startling discovery.

“This person bursts through the door toward me said some things; I said some things, then he raced out the garage door,” he said.

He tried going after the man, but couldn’t find him. At that point, he hadn’t heard from his brother in a couple of days, but it was the confrontation that led him to file a missing persons report.

“It’s very suspicious that one or two days after Mr. Wright went missing someone who is unknown to his brother and family was inside his house” Rockin Police Lt. Scott Horrillo.

Police say they “pinged” Wright’s phone and found it was last tracked to the Rio Linda and North Highlands area.

His brother describes the contractor who works in Rio Linda as 6 feet tall, 170 pounds with short hair. He was driving a white Ford F250 truck with California license plate 29821Z1.

Right now police are calling the situation with the man inside Wright’s home “suspicious.” His family is also trying to figure things out.

“We don’t have a direct connection, but this person was in his home, with no evidence of breaking and entering and we assume that this person could have Ray’s keys,” his sister-in-law Emily said.

Wright’s family hopes someone sees his truck and notifies police; they want to see him home safe, and soon.

Call Kurtis Investigates: AT&T Customer Says She’s Getting Other Customers’ Emails

ROCKLIN (CBS13) — A Rocklin viewer says she’s been barraged with emails containing personal information of other customers for months now and wants it to stop.

Carol Jans said she received emails that appeared to be from AT&T with other people’s account numbers, temporary passwords, and payment information to her personal Gmail inbox.

Jans says, “A hundred and seventeen came in on one day.”

She says she reported the issue to AT&T, but the emails just kept coming.

“How would they get my email on all these accounts,” said Jans.

The emails contained small nuggets of information with some customer account numbers, user ID’s, temporary passwords, service dates and even some with partial credit card numbers.

“It’s a lot of personal information I don’t want,” said Jans.

She is sure these other customers do not realize she’s getting their emails that are only meant for them.

Jans says after three months after reporting it to an AT&T customer service representative; they were still coming.

She said when she talked to them about it, their answer was, “‘We don’t know what’s going on.’”

When we asked AT&T, they could not tell us either.

We wanted to know what could the bad guys do with the information Jans received, fell into the wrong hands.

Security expert, Robert Siciliano with Hotspot Shield compares the limited customer data in these emails to puzzle pieces.

“Unquestionably little bits of data, little breadcrumbs can essentially add up to a loaf of bread,” said Siciliano.

He says the bad guys are putting information like this into databases creating a full picture.

“A full comprehensive identity that ultimately can be used for various forms of fraud,” said Siciliano.

After days of pressing AT&T for answers, the company sent us a statement, saying, “Protecting customer information is a top priority. We are quickly working to fix this issue isolated to this email address and will contact customers if any of their information was inadvertently shared.”

Jans worries that if she is getting emails meant for others, who is getting her emails.

“I just want it fixed,” she said.

As of late this afternoon, AT&T said the issue had been fixed.

AT&T has yet to answer a list of questions we sent them, only to reply saying they are satisfied with the statement they shared.

We attempted to get ahold of the folks for whom these emails were intended, but never got a response.

At this point, we still do not know why Jans was getting these emails.

Fate Of Rocklin Golf Course Becomes Clearer After City Buys Land

ROCKLIN (CBS13) — The city of Rocklin has put an end to the years-long battle over what to do with the dilapidated Rocklin Golf Course.

The city finalized the deal to purchase all of the land and will likely turn it into park and recreation space.

“We think it’s a great opportunity to expand the parks and trail use here in the city over time,” said Michael Young, a city spokesperson.

The $5.8 million purchase of the land comes after three different attempts by the owner to develop housing on the lot.

Most recently the owner proposed building on 42 acres. Selling and donating the rest of the land, a total of 141 acres, to the city for $1.5 million.

“Wanting to build 280 additional homes. I’m not going to allow that to happen,” said Rocklin resident John Carter when we spoke with him in March.

Carter got his way.

“People bought their homes in that area around a golf course and didn’t expect to see land rezoned and built,” explained Young, “so that was some of their concerns.”

The city paid nearly four times more money for all of the land compared to the previous offer.

“Terrible deal for the taxpayers of Rocklin,” said Brian Hanlon.

Hanlon pushes for policy that increases building in urban areas. He says vocal anti-development people who sway city councils are the biggest threat to building new homes in California.

“Too many existing neighbors fight new homebuilding in their community,” said Hanlon.

He says the people who spoke out against development on the closed golf course missed an opportunity to compromise, provide needed housing, and keep most of the land for green space.

“A lot of neighbors don’t want any new neighbors,” said Hanlon.

The park is still closed to the public until further notice. Young says there are clean up and safety precautions that need to be taken before the space will be opened.

As for the cost to restore the run-down golf course, Young says those funds will have to be identified by the city council in the near future.