Tag Archives: Sexual Abuse

Cyclist Fondles 3 Women In 30 Minutes In Lincoln Square, Ravenswood

CHICAGO (CBS) — A man riding a bicycle fondled at least three women in about half an hour as they walked Thursday in the Lincoln Square and Ravenswood neighborhoods on the North Side. Chicago Police are warning women after the three cases of sexual abuse and battery were reported by women who were walking alone or with their children. The man approached from behind on a bicycle, inappropriately touched the women, and then rode off. The first woman, 41, was walking about 10:30 a.m. in the 4400 block of North Ravenswood when the offender reached out and grabbed her. The woman tried to chase the offender north on Ravenswood, but he rode away, police said. About 15 minutes later at 10:45 a.m., a 31-year-old woman was walking with her child in a stroller in the 4600 block of North Campbell when she was approached and touched by the man, police said. The victim confronted him and again tried to chase him, but he rode off. The third attack happened about 10 minutes later at 10:57 a.m., when an 18-year-woman walking with a child in a stroller in the 2300 West Sunnyside was approached and touched by the man, police said. He then “casually continued riding” west on Sunnyside, police said. The suspect was described as a white or Hispanic man between 25 and 40 years old, police said. He was possibly wearing a dark-colored baseball cap, a black and gray striped sweater and blue jeans. He was seen riding a silver BMX style bicycle. Police are warning women to call 911 to report suspicious persons or activity, and avoid talking to strangers or approaching strange vehicles. In addition, police advised women to walk in pairs and avoid confronting an offender. Anyone with information should call Area North Detectives at (312) 744-8200 or send tips anonymously at TIPSOFT.COM. (Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2016. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

‘Serial Child Molester’ Dennis Hastert Denies Bathroom Stall Attack

CHICAGO (CBS) — Before he went to prison, Dennis Hastert admitted he sexually abused multiple teenage boys back when he was a wrestling coach at Yorkville High School. His lawyers even chose not to deny one allegation of sexual abuse, despite Hastert having “no current recollection of the episode.” But the former speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives now “adamantly denies” he sodomized a fourth-grader in a bathroom stall in the early 1970s. He wants a Kendall County judge to toss a lawsuit filed earlier this year by the man alleging the attack. Hastert attorney John Ellis argued in a legal memo filed this week that the law barred the victim, known only as Richard Doe, from making his claims more than two years after he turned 18 — a deadline that likely passed in 1985. “Allowing this case to proceed would require the court to ignore over one hundred years of Illinois Supreme Court precedent,” Ellis wrote. The lawsuit, filed in May, said the attack occurred either in 1973 or 1974, when the alleged victim was in fourth grade. That’s when he said he was riding his bike along Game Farm Road and stopped at the Game Farm Building — now the Yorkville High School parking lot — to use the bathroom. While inside a bathroom stall, he claims he heard a male voice “mutter something.” That’s when the stall door opened and a large man “now known to be Hastert” entered the stall and sodomized the boy, according to the lawsuit. The alleged victim claims he saw his attacker’s face but didn’t recognize him. However, he said he spotted Hastert several weeks later at gym class and began to shake and cry. The lawsuit alleges Hastert spoke to the gym teacher, took the alleged victim by the neck, led him into the hallway, dropped to his knees and asked if he had told anyone about the assault. “Hastert warned plaintiff against reporting the attack, threatening that Hastert’s father was the sheriff and, if the plaintiff told, his parents would be put in jail,” the lawsuit states. The alleged victim claims he tried to report the assault in the mid-1980s but was threatened with prosecution by then-Kendall County State’s Attorney Dallas Ingemunson for slandering Hastert’s name. Ingemunson has denied the allegation. Hastert, 75, also faces another lawsuit in Kendall County filed by the victim at the center of the criminal indictment that put Hastert in a federal prison in Minnesota for 13 months. Though the statute of limitations for Hastert’s sexual abuse has long passed, the feds prosecuted him for a financial crime he committed while trying to cover up the abuse. A federal judge called Hastert a “serial child molester” while sentencing him last year.

Gurnee Man Charged With Sexually Abusing Child

WAUKEGAN (CBS) — A north suburban man was arrested Tuesday and has been charged with sexually abusing a child. Rodrick R. Linnear, 36, faces four counts of predatory criminal sexual assault and one count of aggravated criminal sexual abuse, all felonies, according to a statement from Round Lake Park police.
screen shot 2017 09 13 at 7 04 55 am Gurnee Man Charged With Sexually Abusing Child

Rodrick R. Linnear (Credit: Round Lake Park police)

The parent of the victim first reported an incident to police in early August. Round Lake Park police and the Lake County State’s Attorney Children’s Advocacy Center opened an investigation, eventually learning that several incidents occurred over a four-month period involving Linnear and the child, who was younger than 13 at the time, police said. He was arrested Tuesday at his job in Waukegan, police said. Linnear, who lives in Gurnee, has been ordered held at Lake County Jail on a $1 million bond, according to the Lake County sheriff’s office. He is due back in court on Thursday. (Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2016. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Former San Francisco Teacher, Coach Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Students

by Susie Steimle SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX 5) — A former Bay Area high school teacher and coach is being accused of sexually assaulting students while administrators turned a blind eye, allowing the alleged conduct to continue. Over two dozen female students at John O’Connell High School in San Francisco have come forward to accuse physical education teacher and soccer coach Bob Gamino of inappropriate behavior. Documents also show school officials knew about the allegations two years ago and did nothing about it. is the former captain of San Francisco’s John O’Connell High School girls soccer team. Just before graduating last May, former soccer team captain Alysha Stone said she made one of the hardest decisions of her life: she reported her Coach Gamino for sexual assault. “There would be times when I would be injured, so I had to sit on the bench. And he would like put his hand on my thigh,” remembered Stone. It took her a whole school year to come forward. Stone said it started with verbal harassment in the fall. “Like, ‘Oh, you look beautiful today.’ Or ‘Oh, you have a great body,'” said Stone. “And I was, like, those aren’t things you normally say to a student.” Months later, she said the harassment turned physical. “He like grabbed right under my breast on top of my ribcage and like, why would you grab there?” said Stone. Gamino was a teacher in San Francisco public schools for 23 years, for the majority of that time he was a P.E. teacher, soccer coach and — more recently –an athletic director at O’Connell High School. Students told KPIX 5 his door was always open and that many thought of him as a father figure, which made it that much harder to turn him in. Another student, who chose to remain anonymous, reported Gamino to the school in May. “He passed me and grabbed my butt and then just walked away,” the student explained. “I thought it was an accident. Then it sunk in that it wasn’t.” Still, it took the anonymous victim some time to report the incident. “When you know him so long he built up such a relationship that you feel like he’s a family member, and you can’t report your family member, the student said. “You can’t do that. You feel really guilty.” That was when the district put Gamino on administrative leave and launched an internal investigation. Documents from the district confirm that 30 girls came forward reporting Gamino verbally or physically assaulted them that year. Upper classmen began warning incoming student athletes about Gamino before the abuse took place. “Gamino has like a type of personality that girls should watch out for, basically saying he came off as a perv,” said Stone. “It had been known for so long that he had been doing these things — especially the women at the school — they were like, ‘Yeah that’s how he is,'” said the anonymous student. Students said Gamino worked to gain their trust, often developing a relationship with them and waiting a full year before taking action. “It kind of hurt my feelings. I wouldn’t say betrayed, but hurt my trust,” said Stone. When KPIX 5 first approached the San Francisco Unified School District about Gamino, reporters were told this wasn’t any of our business. “Even if you could tell me those things, things that are confidential personnel matters are not a matter of public record unless they are of concern,” said SFUSD spokesperson Gentle Blythe. So KPIX 5 filed a public records request. Documents from the district’s internal investigation indicated the school knew about Gamino’s behavior two years ago and did nothing. Records showed “upper classmen began to forewarn younger students about his conduct” and “some female students indicated they had stopped dressing for PE or foregone playing soccer in order to avoid Gamino”. After being told that students were warned each other about Gamino and going out of their way to protect each other, KPIX 5 asked Blythe but what adults did to address the issue. Blythe replied, “I think what you’re saying concerns the district as well.” In a second interview with the district after KPIX 5 obtained the documents, Blythe said it was O’Connell’s former principal Mark Alvarado who failed to take the appropriate steps. Documents revealed long before Stone and her classmates came forward, Alvarado had “admonished Gamino for inappropriately touching two African-American female students two years ago.” The district said it didn’t know about the earlier warning because Alvarado didn’t report Gamino’s activity to the district, allowing Gamino to keep working at the school, often spending time alone with female students. According to documents, Gamino “denied the most serious allegations against him, however admitted making at least some of the inappropriate comments acknowledging ‘in hindsight’ he should have acted differently.” When asked if she thought the school district did everything it could have to protect these kids given the fact that there was a history students knew, Blythe replied, “I think we could have done more because this happened.” Meanwhile students said the district never encouraged them to talk to police. When KPIX 5 asked Stone if police were involved, Stone said, “Not that I know of.” When asked if she was told to go to police, Gamino’s anonymous victim replied, “No, we weren’t told to go to police. I didn’t know what to do in this situation at all.” Gamino voluntarily retired this summer, keeping his full health benefits and salary from the district. KPIX 5 stopped by his home multiple times, but he never came to the door. The district has yet to reach out to parents or previous students who Gamino targeted with harassment at the school to inform them of the investigation. “If he can get away with it, who else can get away with it?” asked the anonymous student. “I think the district does need to apologize and talk to students and teachers and say, ‘We’re doing everything we can to prevent this from happening again.'” KPIX 5 did speak with Bob Gamino very briefly over the phone at the start of this investigation. During that conversation, Gamino said he chose to retire. He also said he would consider going back to coaching or teaching at some point. Because he hasn’t been charged there’s no legal reason he can’t do that at this time. Mark Alvarado was moved to Everett Middle School in response to his failure to report Gamino. He still holds an administrative position there. Failing to report the abuse of a student is a crime, but at this time, Mr. Alvarado is also not facing charges.

2 Young Women From Honduras Ask For Asylum In The United States

CHICAGO (CBS) — Two young women from Honduras appeared before an immigration judge in Chicago on Wednesday, asking for asylum in the United States because they say they were sexually abused by family members in their homeland.

One of them is 21-years old, the other is 17.

They live in Waukegan with their mother. They are from Honduras. All three are undocumented.

honduras 3 2 Young Women From Honduras Ask For Asylum In The United States

Two young women from Honduras appeared before an immigration judge in Chicago on Wednesday, asking for asylum in the United States because they say they were sexually abused by family members in their homeland. (WBBM/Steve Miller)

The sisters have been here for four years. Now they are asking for asylum – saying family members molested them for years in Honduras.

The 21-year old spoke through an interpreter.

“It would be like a death sentence if we’re returned to Honduras,” she said.

Among their advocates: Julie Contreras of LULAC, the League of United Latin American Citizens.

“This is their only hope. We hope our country’s values and morals and the law – the facts will speak for themselves. This case merits asylum,” Contreras said.

honduras 2 2 Young Women From Honduras Ask For Asylum In The United States

Julie Contreras of LULAC, the League of United Latin American Citizens is an advocate for the Honduran women. (WBBM/Steve Miller)

It’s not clear when the case will be decided. The girls are being allowed to stay in the country for now.

A spokeswoman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement declined to comment on the case, citing privacy reasons.

*The women’s names and faces were asked to not be used for their safety.

New Suit Filed Against Former CPS Coach In Prison For Abusing Students

CHICAGO (CBS) — A former Simeon Career Academy track coach convicted last year of sexually abusing students at the school has been named in another lawsuit. The new suit was filed Thursday in Cook County Circuit Court against Gerald Gaddy and the Chicago Board of Education. Gaddy, 44, was charged in July 2014 with assaulting two girls, ages 16 and 17, at the school at 8147 S. Vincennes Ave. several times, according to Chicago Police. He was convicted of four counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse and one count of aggravated battery in a public place in a September 2016 bench trial, according to circuit court records. Gaddy remains held at the Menard Correctional Center in downstate Illinois, according to the Illinois Department of Corrections. He will be eligible for parole in 2048. Similar lawsuits were filed against Gaddy and the board in October 2014 and October 2016. The six-count suit filed Thursday seeks more than $300,000 in damages for Jane Doe, who was a minor student at the school at the time of the assault allegations. It seeks more than $50,000 from Gaddy for battery and claims he sexually abused her. The suit also accuses the board of education of failing to conduct a background check on Gaddy that would have revealed previous convictions for drug offenses, which should have raised red flags. It also claims other employees and students knew about Gaddy’s behavior and accuses the board of negligence and of failing to report the abuse to authorities. A spokesman for Chicago Public Schools did not immediately respond to a request for comment Friday evening. (Source: Sun-Times Media Wire © Chicago Sun-Times 2017. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Victims, Westmount reach settlement in sexual abuse case involving hockey coach

A settlement has been reached between the City of Westmount and the law firm representing victims who claim they were sexually assaulted by a former hockey coach.